Author Topic: .....and we're still waiting  (Read 15281 times)

Offline ptoc-nwca

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
Re: .....and we're still waiting
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
I don't see how choosing a neutral site like Chicago, Memphis, St Louis, Oklahom City, freaking ANY population center ahead of time could be bad and force it to fail.  Fans would still have Made their plans ahead of time.  instead we're forced to make a kneejerk reaction to WHATEVER finals site arises.  and That is the Recipe for Failure.

Past history of putting events and thinking people will show up. One poster mentioned Cleveland and the event was held in Cleveland and only drew 2200 people max. I wish we had history that showed putting a dual event in a neutral location and minimally 5,000 people are going to show up from across the country. It is easier to say just do certain things when yo don't have the financial risk of it all.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
And FYI, streams on LiveSportsVideo.com

USAW Coverage Page: http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=24658
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
I don't see how choosing a neutral site like Chicago, Memphis, St Louis, Oklahom City, freaking ANY population center ahead of time could be bad and force it to fail.  Fans would still have Made their plans ahead of time.  instead we're forced to make a kneejerk reaction to WHATEVER finals site arises.  and That is the Recipe for Failure.

Past history of putting events and thinking people will show up. One poster mentioned Cleveland and the event was held in Cleveland and only drew 2200 people max. I wish we had history that showed putting a dual event in a neutral location and minimally 5,000 people are going to show up from across the country. It is easier to say just do certain things when yo don't have the financial risk of it all.

That's about how many people are going to show up if you hold it in Oklahoma.  Minneapolis would double that and somewhere in Iowa would do even better.  If it was planned out in advance it could've probably been worked out to hold it in Des Moines, which is neutral ground. 
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
I also just read a nasty rumor that ticket prices are higher for the Ames regional than other regions.  Is this true?

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
I also just read a nasty rumor that ticket prices are higher for the Ames regional than other regions.  Is this true?

I just looked it up and it is true.  $25 for the Ames region and $20 for every other.  Nothing like sticking it to the people who will support this the most.  I'm not going now that I know I'm getting ripped off, which sucks because I've been going to it for years.  But I'm also cheap and if I'm going to have to pay more to watch the worst region then I'm getting screwed.  I doubt I'll ever go to this event again since I now know that my loyalty as a wrestling fan is now being taken advantage of.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:07:00 PM by ronsnap »

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
I'm sure the price of tickets is based on the incredibly high cost of living in Iowa...the other areas all have much lower cost of livings for sure.  Cleveland?  of course no one went to Cleveland.  Cleveland Sucks!  but Chicago and St Louis are very nice.  Hell hold it in Pennsyl.  Of course if you hold it in some shithole no one will go.  but you can hold it in a dump and they will still come, look at Detroit.  I was scared out of my mind, managed to walk into a hooters that did not serve alcohol and commuted 30 minutes from my hotel for every session, but I went.  and Iowa wasn't even remotely in the running that year.  I guarantee that this year will be "cleveland" if it ends up in OKC.  sure the Hawks will make the drive, but who else?
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline buf87

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
If this is true, it is certainly not right.  I would think that the planner sets the price and not the event holder (ie Iowa State).  I just about did not buy tickets when I bought my season tickets because of costs.   There  was also a convience fee added and it got pretty expensive.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
It is true buf. Go to the NWCA web site.  It's right there.

Offline ptoc-nwca

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
RonSnap...if you look at the Des Moines arena you will see that it being used on that Sunday. I can assure you that it was looked at to see if we could get it and it would have solved some additional issues.

Each site location was able to set their own ticket prices due to the varrying cost of facilities.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »
RonSnap...if you look at the Des Moines arena you will see that it being used on that Sunday. I can assure you that it was looked at to see if we could get it and it would have solved some additional issues.

Each site location was able to set their own ticket prices due to the varrying cost of facilities.

If you read what I wrote you would have seen that I elluded to if it was worked out in advance I'm sure the Iowa Energy and Wells Fargo Arena would have rescheduled their game to accomodate for something that will draw more people and make more money. 

Letting Jamie Pollard set the price for anything is a big mistake.  Thanks for letting him offend the most supportive wrestling fans in the nation.

Offline buf87

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
Well if it was Iowa State screwing over a bunch of Hawkeye fans, that makes it feel alot better 8)

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
Pollard is a douche!  any chance he has to gouge wrestling fans he takes.  and any chance he gets to gouge University of Iowa fans he doubly takes

crablegs

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
You guys are such babies complaining about 5$ difference.  I'll be there and I would have paid another 20 to go see the wrestling.  Get to see OSU who I haven't seem this year and a possible Zalesky vs Brands matchup in the finals. OSU doesn't have much of a chance, but has some good wrestlers. 

I pay 10 dollars for one home dual at Iowa or ISU.  25 for 6 duals seems like a deal to me. 

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »
it's just part of a trend from Iowa State to overcharge anytime Iowa comes to town.  it'd be funny if it weren't so damn sad that they ask their inState neighbors to subsidize their own crappy support.

Offline buf87

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »
Sad to say but it's the same in football against Iowa, can't buy a single game ticket when Iowa is in town.  It is all revenue,  with the state of Iowa getting out of funding University athletics, the university has to find the money somewhere.   Raising dollars for Athletics, Mainly football is wher society has us right now.