Author Topic: Akira Ohta  (Read 1717 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Akira Ohta
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
Jim Shields is a friend of mine and the one who reserved a bunch of rooms for us in St. Louis including one for Akira Ohta.  One of the rooms was reserved for Ohta.

Ohta was a 180 -198lb freestyle wrestler for Japan in the 1980s (he also took 4th at 189 behind Dave Schultz at the world games in 82 I think) and he and Shields were asst coachs at OkState sometime back. Ohta frquently comes back to the US for the NCAAs.

Interestingly enough he was on his honeymoon with his new bride. Ohta is 54 and this new wife is 35. He speaks English very well, she not so much. But she was the stereotypical Japanese woman. Very petite, giggled constantly and bowed to you everytime you met. You couldnt help but like her.

I cant tell you how many guys would come up and say hi to Ohta and he was friends with all of them. Baumgartner, Jim Humphrey, John Peterson... and those were just those I saw him talking to. I also discovered that Ohta was on a junior team that toured Oklahoma back when I was in HS. And he could still name about half of that Okla team.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:48:03 AM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Re: Akira Ohta
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
That is one country I'd like to visit. I took Japanese in HS and the culture was always interesting to me.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »
My dad spent 3 and a half years there, but didnt particularly enjoy his stay.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
I'm assuming military? My grandfather would probably say the same thing as he was stationed there at one time during WW2. His job there, was something he only talked about once.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »
Ohta was a 180 -198lb freestyle wrestler for Japan in the 1980s (he also took 4th at 189 behind Dave Schultz at the world games in 82 I think) and he and Shields were asst coachs at OkState sometime back. Ohta frquently comes back to the US for the NCAAs.

Ohta-san is, in fact, a two-time Olympic silver medalist:  in 1984 and 1988.  Jim Scherr was beating him 8-1 in the '88 semi-finals when Ohta rolled one of his shots and pinned him.  He had a good foot sweep, too.

Ohta's a great, and hilarious, guy.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
I'm assuming military? My grandfather would probably say the same thing as he was stationed there at one time during WW2. His job there, was something he only talked about once.

POW
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
Yikes, not exactly the kind of vacation you want to remember. My grandfather was in charge of making sure people stayed dead.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:42:12 PM »
POW camp...but thats another topic on another board