Author Topic: Real wrestling season is officially over. What lame things are you doing now?  (Read 11587 times)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
My wife is probably grateful we don't live in a state where we have access to tournaments every week.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
I would have posted in this thread a lot earlier but I was in Miami on the beach for a few days and didn't have access to the internet.  Received a small sun burn, but I'm not complaining. 
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
I would have posted in this thread a lot earlier but I was in Miami on the beach for a few days and didn't have access to the internet.  Received a small sun burn, but I'm not complaining.
I hear Miami is getting the internet this June.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile

That may be, but this guy refuses to get a smart phone so he doesnt do things like spend his whole vacation with his nose on the internet.  Do you know about the scenery you miss on Miami's beaches if you are too busy reading wrestling message boards?

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
The  DU:  That's cool that you remember Desi.  He ran a clinic for our boys last summer and the kids absolutely loved him. He really knows how to connect.  He's 39 but seems/acts like a 25-year old.  A funny story from Guatemala  is that an older female street vendor came up to Desi and tried to sell him something. He said 'No dinero.'  Surprisingly she replied in English 'I take credit cards.' Without missing a beat he said 'oh yeah, what are you going to do?  Swipe it up your butt?'  The boys are still talking  about that.

Wire: that's great that your kid is playing soccer and that he, too, has been helping out in Belize.  I really worry about  how much my boys take everything they have for granted, and our last trip was an eye-opener.  It was very gratifying to see all the boys respond so well and be so concerned about making  donations, etc.  Regarding wrestling, by older boy wrestled from 6 - 9, but then he turned his attention to ski jumping, baseball, and football.  My younger boy won't wrestle,  but is very active in Karate and  travels around the country competing.

But to get back to the main topic of this thread, not too long ago the 'lame' thing I did after the wrestling season came to a close was to enter an old-timers tourney.  I was 50 years old at the time, had  already had two heart attacks, a  quad by-pass, two shoulder surgeries, knee surgery and still had a partially torn ACL.  Turns out the old-timers in my bracket were  all  18, 19, and 20, and one of them was a D3 AA.  We were at about 150 lbs. 

In my first  match the ref looked at us when  we shook hands and said 'how old are you'.  After I  told him he blew the whistle loudly and yelled "1 point this guy . . . for old age."  The crowd loved it : - )  I ended up losing 4 - 2 (3 1-minute periods) but really was just stalling my buff off trying to avoid getting turned.  I  hung it up after that, thank god.

@Grimm .... I was a little skinny guy ...5' 6" and 112 in HS, and 118 @ WSU ...  As a result, i was always able to eat anything and every thing. Which I did. AND .... Suffered a heart attack at 41 YO's !!!!  Who would have thunk it ????  Doing fine now with a stent. And have eventually migrated to a healthier diet.

My son and I do a lot of biking, off road, trail stuff. We've got just some awesome tracks to use in the outlying hills of Seattle. They are just now starting to dry out .... He could care less about Fishing tho ....  ;)
I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile

That may be, but this guy refuses to get a smart phone so he doesnt do things like spend his whole vacation with his nose on the internet.  Do you know about the scenery you miss on Miami's beaches if you are too busy reading wrestling message boards?
Did you bring your crown anywhere near the water?
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile

Did you bring your crown anywhere near the water?

I sure did.  Sat night the Crown and the water were mixing nicely for a few of us.  My wife got a text from from her mother earlier in the evening saying that people should slow down on the drinking before the anniversary reception.  She meant me, so I turned it up a notch just to spite her.  I had planned on slowing down but I decided it was time to do it St. Louis style after she sent that text out.  I'm sure she was impressed.

Offline Grimm

• Junior High
    • View Profile
The  DU:  That's cool that you remember Desi.  He ran a clinic for our boys last summer and the kids absolutely loved him. He really knows how to connect.  He's 39 but seems/acts like a 25-year old.  A funny story from Guatemala  is that an older female street vendor came up to Desi and tried to sell him something. He said 'No dinero.'  Surprisingly she replied in English 'I take credit cards.' Without missing a beat he said 'oh yeah, what are you going to do?  Swipe it up your butt?'  The boys are still talking  about that.

Wire: that's great that your kid is playing soccer and that he, too, has been helping out in Belize.  I really worry about  how much my boys take everything they have for granted, and our last trip was an eye-opener.  It was very gratifying to see all the boys respond so well and be so concerned about making  donations, etc.  Regarding wrestling, by older boy wrestled from 6 - 9, but then he turned his attention to ski jumping, baseball, and football.  My younger boy won't wrestle,  but is very active in Karate and  travels around the country competing.

But to get back to the main topic of this thread, not too long ago the 'lame' thing I did after the wrestling season came to a close was to enter an old-timers tourney.  I was 50 years old at the time, had  already had two heart attacks, a  quad by-pass, two shoulder surgeries, knee surgery and still had a partially torn ACL.  Turns out the old-timers in my bracket were  all  18, 19, and 20, and one of them was a D3 AA.  We were at about 150 lbs. 

In my first  match the ref looked at us when  we shook hands and said 'how old are you'.  After I  told him he blew the whistle loudly and yelled "1 point this guy . . . for old age."  The crowd loved it : - )  I ended up losing 4 - 2 (3 1-minute periods) but really was just stalling my buff off trying to avoid getting turned.  I  hung it up after that, thank god.

@Grimm .... I was a little skinny guy ...5' 6" and 112 in HS, and 118 @ WSU ...  As a result, i was always able to eat anything and every thing. Which I did. AND .... Suffered a heart attack at 41 YO's !!!!  Who would have thunk it ????  Doing fine now with a stent. And have eventually migrated to a healthier diet.

My son and I do a lot of biking, off road, trail stuff. We've got just some awesome tracks to use in the outlying hills of Seattle. They are just now starting to dry out .... He could care less about Fishing tho ....  ;)

Wow, so I finally meet another ex-wrestler who also had a heart attack at a young age.  I'm glad you're doing well  now.  I also was always thin and finished  at 126 (5' 9" at the time). Turns out I have a hereditary disease  that claimed my dad at 35 and gave me two  MI's at 26 and a quad-bypass at 26.  I also ended up putting it behind me and did enter an old-timers tourney at 31.  Made the finals after several matches.  I also ended up doing long distance bike races (200+ milers).  The  old timers  tourney I entered at 50 will definitely be my last one,  though 

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
#1 Son bought a house the week. Incredible steal backed with a 30 year 3.75% mortgage. A genuine handyman special with 2.5 acres.   Just got back from gutting the master bath...HOLY SHIITE.....this one had metal lath and 2, yes 2, inches of cement plus tile on the freaking walls.  I've gutted probably 12-14 baths in my life.  I've frequently encountered tile over an inch of cement and wire mesh on the floors , but never on the walls and never 2" thick surrounding the tub.  Two days of sheer agony wielding the sledge and pry bar trying to make a dent in it.  It's finally out though, including the lead lined floor. No wonder there was nary a crack in the walls after 40+ years.  Built like the proverbial brick shithouse.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
good work Ryou. have fun, haha.

i know this isn't fishing, but i just had to share this pic from the PA Fish and Game

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150619508648915&set=a.122472883914.104688.84776578914&type=1&theater
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline yomama cantrassle

• DIII
    • View Profile
My new lame activity is getting married in 10 days. I'm going through a roll of tums a day

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
So in 10 days, no more sex. I'd be bummed too.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
My new lame activity is getting married in 10 days. I'm going through a roll of tums a day

Congrats!
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow