Author Topic: 2012 NCAA Tough Calls Video  (Read 6363 times)

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:42:39 AM by matref0 »

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 NCAA Tough Calls Video
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »
The Delgado/Bedlyon match is interesting in a number of ways.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:03:25 PM »
Interesting we didn't see the JO/Stieber final TD/Not TD.

Speaks that the NCAA might not want to touch that one if they think they were wrong.

If they thought the call was right you'd think they'd be glad to put it on there and say "our refs got it right" 

Maybe they just don't care?
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:11:07 AM »
They were pretty critical of the official in the Delgado/Bedlyon match in the video. Not sure the JO/Stieber match would make a good teaching example. Just my opinion.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
They were pretty critical of the official in the Delgado/Bedlyon match in the video. Not sure the JO/Stieber match would make a good teaching example. Just my opinion.

You are right, but it would really be nice to know if the call officially was correct or incorrect.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
That match was interesting but I think the no call was correct.  I was at one of the NCAA rules clinics last weekend and most felt the same way.

Oliver was in on two legs but did nothing to improve or demonstrate control or any type of restraining power.  I've had that situation before and have stalemated it. 

When two wrestlers are in that position, you need to to show something.  Oliver did nothing to show control, in my opinion.  I remember watching that live and saying, move up or pop your head and you'll get 2.  He didn't.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »

That ref is a good friend of mine and he is also one of the best high school coaches in the country.  That was a bad match and not indicative of his abilities.  However, I doubt you will see him working D-I's anytime soon and I think he has worked 4 or 5 plus the Big 10s several times.  He is normally very good and knows more about the sport more than most folks do.  But, you can't make those mistakes at that level and survive.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
I've seen him work a lot of other matches and was surprised at seeing that one. I hate to say it, but he almost looked like he did not want to make the calls when they were plainly there. He normally is very solid, as you said.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
The match must not have hurt him too bad.  I noticed that he is listed as working the 2013 Big 10 Championships.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
Well once you get in, it seems hard to get out. Which kinda sucks for newer guys trying to break into the ranks. But, as I said, he is normally as solid as they come.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 02:19:11 AM »
Oliver had two.

If it wasn't a TD, then control can no longer be established when a guy has ahold of both legs while on their hands.

I will likely never believe it wasn't a TD as long as we consider the opposite position a TD.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
Oliver had two.

If it wasn't a TD, then control can no longer be established when a guy has ahold of both legs while on their hands.

I will likely never believe it wasn't a TD as long as we consider the opposite position a TD.
He had his head buried between his legs and Stieber was still controling his head. In the position you're describing the defensive wrestler has no control of any part of the offensive wrestlers body.  In this instance, the defensive wrestler is controling the head and arms and JO wasn't able to work up.   Need to control the up to the waist or get your head out to side.  At least that's my understanding. 

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
Then reverse the position and JO has ahold of just his ankles. If that is considered two, then so was when he had his upper legs wrapped up.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."