Author Topic: The Maryland Heckler  (Read 1802 times)

Offline horatio

• LXP
  • World Team
    • View Profile
The Maryland Heckler
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
strikes again!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/attorney-beats-speed-camera-ticket/2013/01/15/34b8c138-5ec7-11e2-a389-ee565c81c565_blog.html

i've never encountered the guy but there are more than enough wrestling fans whom he's annoyed.

"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."

Offline Serial Thriller

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
Re: The Maryland Heckler
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
Amazing that he beat it. Municipalities put these cameras in areas where they know they can make coin.  They did it in my town to make the intersections "safer". Never mind the fact that there has been nobody hurt or killed by speeders at these intersections. The c**k gobblers who make these cameras come to your town, do an asessment on where people are most likely to speed and split the profits with you. The moronic cops and politicians who say they are saving lives are just doing it for "revenue generation". Plain and simple. Mind you, I have never been popped by one of these things before. 
There's a growing anti-intellectual strain in this country. It may be the beginning of the end of our informed democracy. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
I've been hosed by the camera on Kimberly by the Mall once...and in Cedar Rapids twice.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
Dont speed.  Simple.
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »
I don't consider flowing with the pace of traffic speeding though.  Why is the arbitrary speed they assign as safe the actual speed allowed?

Offline Serial Thriller

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
I've been hosed by the camera on Kimberly by the Mall once...and in Cedar Rapids twice.

Ouch. The one in Cedar Rapids generates what, like $1.7 million a year for the city. Total revenue generator.
There's a growing anti-intellectual strain in this country. It may be the beginning of the end of our informed democracy. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:58:12 AM »
I know all the time I've been busted that the people around me got popped too...but it doesn't make me feel better

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:31 AM »
Another important gun-rights issue.  A citizenry with shotguns is better prepared to remove these things.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »
Dont speed.  Simple.

Depends what the camera is set on. I lived in a town that set the camera for five kilometers over the speed limit...that's like three miles per hour over. 

Also in this town, a university purchased a camera and was able to repay the cost (100k) in fines in less than a school year. Then it goes straight to the university. I wonder if they then slashed the prices for tuition?

Offline Serial Thriller

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
Another important gun-rights issue.  A citizenry with shotguns is better prepared to remove these things.

Amen to that!

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »
Bryce, you know this is Duck pants that beat this, right?
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »
yeah I can't stand that clown

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
I have a bigger lead foot than most and I can honestly say that I have earned every single speeding ticket but one and I went to court and proved the cop was lying. (It was in a school zone but NOT during the time the light was flashing. I pointed it out to him at the time be he was a stupid idiot and kept writing the ticket. So later I went down to traffic control and got the time sheets for that school zone and showed the judge. He believed me and not the cop and dismissed the charge).

This guy never denied he broke the law.  The judge was an idiot to let him off this ticket. It sounds like one lawyer covering the ass of another.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
Got snagged by one at night on I95 just north of Baltimore.  Couldn't believe it.  The fine was the same $40 but no points.  A letter accompanied the citation stating court fees for a not guilty plea would be $200 if convicted.  Given I live 150 miles away and no points were assigned I figured paying the ticket was cheaper than the cost of fuel to get there and back. Obviously that is why the state the court costs in the letter.   I just paid the fine.