Author Topic: Are you kidding me? We're eliminating another weight class for men?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
Re: Are you kidding me? We're eliminating another weight class for men?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »
I still dont get why they didnt ADD 3 womens classes instead of taking 1 each from FR/GR and adding 2 women.  I get that we already give a ton of medals out for wrestling, but why not even try?  Who knows, maybe that idea was shot down as unrealistic that the IOC would give out MORE medals? 

"Look, we love womens wrestling, so much so that we are ADDING 3, yes THREE additional wt. classes!!!!"

Because the IOC also wants to keep the number of total entries at the games below a certain number. They asked for three weights and the IOC said, ok, then you have to take away. then FILA said no. Now, they're back to the same agreement, only its the IOC having the right of refusal, not FILA.

Yes, logic is not utilized here.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »
I don't recall any push to remove weights from boxing to create a women's division.  Why is wrestling special?

This is a continuation of the IOC's and NBC's feminization of the Olympics.  Most of the sports I care about are being put on the back burner.  Pretty soon, the Olympics won't be worth watching.  I hope the ratings will reflect that.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
I don't recall any push to remove weights from boxing to create a women's division.  Why is wrestling special?

This is a continuation of the IOC's and NBC's feminization of the Olympics.  Most of the sports I care about are being put on the back burner.  Pretty soon, the Olympics won't be worth watching.  I hope the ratings will reflect that.

I expect they're moving in the same direction.  Women's boxing debuted in London and the ratio is 10-3 right now.  Wrestling, of course, was 14-4.  Gender equity isn't the only issue, but it is one of them.

Offline tigerfan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
Why don't we just cut the ridiculous 2 bronzes?  That would save 18 medals right there, which is another 6 weights across all styles. Doesn't mean more participants, necessarily, we could make qualifiying a little harder so less participants per weight.
Because they stand on a wall.  And they say nothin\'s gonna hurt you tonight....not on my watch.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »
Are they going to cut the number of rowing events?  If they are worried about total participants, there are a ton of rowing events that could be eliminated. 

This seems to be two things.  Gender equity (aka feminization of the Olympics) and keeping sports that are of interest to Western Europeans, such as all of the rowing events, equestrian events, modern pentathlon, team handball, etc., etc. that nobody on this side of the pond gives a rats about.

One change i would like to make, if we are going back to 1980's rules, would be to have all of the finals matches on the same day.  They used to have the pool matches over several days, then the finals for all ten weight classes.  It just doesn't seem as interesting to have all of the matches for two or three weights in a day, for several days in a row.

Offline buf87

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
Why don't we just cut the ridiculous 2 bronzes?  That would save 18 medals right there, which is another 6 weights across all styles. Doesn't mean more participants, necessarily, we could make qualifiying a little harder so less participants per weight.

This always bothered me.  Bronze is third place.  Add one more match and not have a tie for 3rd.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:30 PM »
If this is all they are willing to do, why not just bag the Olympics, get rid of FILA altogether and any other leader who supports this plan, support a World Championships and ADD weights back.

Why isn't this being considered? IMO, we don't need the Olympics so bad that we need to cut more weights.

"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

This always bothered me.  Bronze is third place.  Add one more match and not have a tie for 3rd.
+1.  I fully agree.  Who comes up with this stuff? 
virtus tentamine gaudet - strength rejoices in the challenge

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »
If this is all they are willing to do, why not just bag the Olympics, get rid of FILA altogether and any other leader who supports this plan, support a World Championships and ADD weights back.

Why isn't this being considered? IMO, we don't need the Olympics so bad that we need to cut more weights.
I'm starting to lean this way too Rock.  Wrestling should continue working with the IOC to pursue restoration for the Olympics, but the World Championships don't have to follow the Olympic model (and they shouldn't the with the direction things seem to be going).
virtus tentamine gaudet - strength rejoices in the challenge

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
Has anyone considered the possibility that the IOC threw this out as a poison pill? That is they make demands that they know that the wrestling world just cant stomach and then they can say, "Hey we offered them a way back in, they just didnt want to work with us or compromise."  Its pretty obvious to me thats whats happening here.

ASSHOLES
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell