Author Topic: Dear Penn State Fans,  (Read 12557 times)

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Penn State Fans,
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
Alton is 2-5 against ranked opponents and lost to Zilverberg 6-2
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
Didn't #1 seed, Max Askren go down in the first round and fail to place going 0-2? Its the NCAA tournament, anything can happen.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
one National tournament does not a career predict
Maybe..heres my contentions after a cursory glance.
Nico will do better than 5th, McD wont win
 Ramos is 0-4 against Stieber, only someone who is biased views that as a coin flip.
Dont see Durso placing.
Dierienger at 3rd would shock me.
Dylan Alton losing to Walter Peppelman is not happening.  Dylan not placing would also shock me.
Josh Condon is not placing.
Either is Blake Stauffer.

If Penn State gets third you can have my sig for the rest of my life.

Some ballsy picks, and theyre yours to make, but lets not say any amount of number crunching lead you to many of these decisions.  We all are biased to a degree.

I'm sorry I had to clear all of my picks with you and the Penn State fans.  You don't see Durso placing, that's great put it in your bracket.  I think Dieringer is freshman of the year and a 3rd place finish seals it.  Why can't Dylan lose to Peppelman?  You saw that I'm not the only guy that had that thought right?  Condon has to beat Massa and Polz to place, so he has no shot at winning those?  Stauffer had a bad Pac 10 after coming back from injury, sure he is a freshman at the National tournament but he has shown himself to be tough.  Could he not place?  Sure, but anyone who makes it to the round of 12 has a shot.

Could you be a bigger baby?

Why would you put your predictions out for public consumption if you dont want feedback/discussion about them?

Nobody is saying you need to clear anything with anyone so give up on that strawman argument. Dont get bent out of shape if people question your predictions and if youre biased, thats when you explain your logic, or just be quiet.  Complaining about people complaining seems a bit ironic to me.

I didnt put Durso in mine.   Hes been on fire lately I will submit. I probably shouldnt have mentioned it with some of your other picks as this one is more reasonable.

Condon already lost to Polz this year in addition to the indomitable zach strickland and paul hancock. Hes also avoided beating any ranked wrestlers all year.   So yes, i would say beating massa and polz back to back would be a pretty insane turnaround.

Stauffer has beaten other decent guys like Miller and Zanetti, but hes lost to sam wheeler and bryce hammond.  Recently. 174 is deep, so thats why i dont think he places. He also lost to yates who is solid, but i dont see in the top 8 discussion either.

Alton is a good wrestler.  Good wrestlers have bad tournaments. Hes a better wrestler than Peppelman in nearly every measurable aspect. Quality wins, ncaa credentials, etc. thats why I think he outplaces him.

To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 11:52:55 AM »
Didn't #1 seed, Max Askren go down in the first round and fail to place going 0-2? Its the NCAA tournament, anything can happen.
Just because something is specious doesnt make it a wise prediction. Yes upsets happen. Any man can win on any given day , whoever gets hot, he puts his shoes on just like and any other cliche you want to throw out there about the likelihood for upsets. 

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
Maybe Dom Parisi will knock off Nico?

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
do you want to see my bracket where I picked HOUDASHELT to beat Alton???????

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
You da man. Houdashelt is quality no doubt.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »
Dylan is gonna lose to Hickman.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
do you want to see my bracket where I picked HOUDASHELT to beat Alton???????
Never questioned that one anyways.

Peppelman will have a full head of steam when he hits alton in the round of 12 now.   Maybe Spartak Chino knocks off Dylan?

Also unlucky draw for blake stauffer having Matt Mougin so early. Northern Illinois always has been money at NCAAs.

So basically a good round one for you Bryce.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
thanks I'm glad you're finally coming around.  If only I could make professional picks and rankings like you

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »
Mega making the finals last year and somehow going backwards to fifth, while plausible (most things are plausible at this level), shows the bias....

False. False. False. I have guys in my bracket placing lower than they did last year and it's from a range of schools. I don't care who wins honestly, I make my picks based on simply who I think will win the match. It's not about picking against a guy or for a guy.

Sometimes, that's based on data and sometimes it's just a hunch. I have no factual data to backup why I thought Matt Mougin of Northern Illinois would beat Blake Stauffer of Arizona State. I mean, I can't pick a seed to lose or is that showing some unweilding bias I hold against Arizona State and one of my good friends on the coaching staff?

Clearly free to pick guys to place lower and it not be biased.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
thanks I'm glad you're finally coming around.  If only I could make professional picks and rankings like you
How is you doing predictions and coverages for awn any less professional than what I do for flo?  No difference what so ever in what I do and what you do. So youre just as professional as i am.  What you put into it and what I put into it might be what separates us.

I pay a lot of attention. Stauffer losing itself is surprising since it was matt mougin, but his struggles are not for the reasons I outlined earlier. I doesnt show bias imo, so much as it shows not paying as much attention to the important things.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:24:37 PM by vaisforlovers »

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 04:20:44 PM »
You would be amazed how little time I put into this. I did my brackets in 10 minutes and I never follow any thing. I just through darts when I did the caa too. I dont drive and do coverage either. I bow to your superior wrestling know how. You ahould just not engagge with me because you are so much smarter. It doesnt matter that JB and V had many of the same picks. They dont spend time on wrestling either.

Offline herbp

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »
Joey Lazor is my hero
You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.
N.Gaimann

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »
I can absolutely admit I had some oicks not work out, but I bet I am not the only guy. This is the National tournent. Upsets happen and guys hold seeds. Just because I picked one way doesnt mean I didnt take into consideration thing from the regular season. I used Earls site, conferemce finishes, common opponents, and a quarter. Show me a guy with a perfect bracket. Who cares if my oicks dont all work out. This thread was to give people an insight into Why I made some of them. I could have just ignored the cry babies in the other forums who looked me up on linkedin. Good for them by the way. It is easy to cherry pick choices I can do it too.