Author Topic: Battle at the Falls  (Read 1050 times)

Offline vveto

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
Battle at the Falls
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
When it comes to international wrestling, I only follow the scene as it relates to the American men, most of whom I'm familiar with from their NCAA careers.  I'd never attended a women's event in person.  Since it was less than 30 minutes away, I was compelled to attend the Battle at the Falls yesterday, in part to show support for the movement to save Olympic wrestling.  I was very impressed with and entertained by the wrestling. 

The action at 59 kg was especially interesting.  The US-Ukraine dual matched Alli Ragan vs. Natalya Synyshyn.  Synyshyn was a past World medalist, so I figured she was favored.  Ragan dominated with a 12 – 4 decision.  She was really impressive.

In the following dual between Canada and Ukraine, they announced that the opponent of the Ukranian Synyshyn, Braxton Papadopoulus, was the youngest competitor at 17 years old.  I thought, “Awww...good for her.  This will be a great learning experience for her.”  She proceeded to go out and pin the former World medalist.

So now I'm really looking forward to the matchup between Ragan and Papadopoulus in the final dual of the evening.  Ragan was super slick in her match with Synyshyn, and I figured she might have the edge.  She started with a nice takedown against the 17-year-old Canadian.  The next flurry of action resulted in Papadopoulus putting Ragan on her back, holding her there, and pinning her.  The home crowd erupted with cheers.  Despite the fact I was rooting for the American, it was really cool.

As a result of attending the event yesterday, I'll be following future achievements of many of the American, Canadian, and Ukranian athletes I saw wrestle.  I'm really glad I went.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
Re: Battle at the Falls
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:55:11 AM »
Great post ... we will be doing a story on Braxton for the international site soon. She would have been a potential world teamer last year, but wasnt old enough.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg