Author Topic: Gopher Lineup  (Read 15817 times)

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
Gopher Lineup
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »
Word is the latest booster newsletter has 125-157 all moving up.  This had been rumored as Thorn and CD cut a lot of weight last year and Ness and Zberg got real big this year.

125)
133) David Thorn (rsr)
141) Chris Dardanes (rjr)
149) Nick Dardanes (rjr)
157) Dylan Ness (rjr)
165) Danny Zilverberg (rsr)
174) Logan Storley (jr)
184) Kevin Steinhaus (rsr)
197) Scott Schiller (rjr)
hvy) Tony Nelson (rsr)

Some unknowns with this lineup but I like a team that is all jrs & srs.  rso Sam Brancale probably the 125er.
Tax the churches.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Gopher Lineup
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
Word is the latest booster newsletter has 125-157 all moving up.  This had been rumored as Thorn and CD cut a lot of weight last year and Ness and Zberg got real big this year.

125)
133) David Thorn (rsr)
141) Chris Dardanes (rjr)
149) Nick Dardanes (rjr)
157) Dylan Ness (rjr)
165) Danny Zilverberg (rsr)
174) Logan Storley (jr)
184) Kevin Steinhaus (rsr)
197) Scott Schiller (rjr)
hvy) Tony Nelson (rsr)

Some unknowns with this lineup but I like a team that is all jrs & srs.  rso Sam Brancale probably the 125er.
Can Zilverberg hang on to the 165-pound spot over Dylan Reel?

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
I got Reel at 165

Didn't Steinhaus hurt his knee pretty bad?

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »
I'd put my money on Zberg all day.  Although I have been wondering about Z at 157 and Ness at 165. 
Tax the churches.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
What about Koepp?
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline MNRodent

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
If the light and middle weight guys are more comfortable wrestling up a weight, then I'm all for it.  They need to wrestle where they feel good.  They also have good depth at 149-165, if anyone doesn't handle the move well.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »
I got Reel at 165

Didn't Steinhaus hurt his knee pretty bad?
So Brett Pfarr jumps in the lineup at 184 to keep the spot warm until Steinhaus gets back. His performances weren't outstanding last year, but he's a good stopgap.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »
But when does he come back?  Is he giong to miss a big chunk of the season ?

I think most of the guys will be as good up a weight, though I think the bigger Dardanes could be too msall for 149. 

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »
I had heard when it happened it would certainly be after the first semester...lots of factors....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:28:16 PM »
So Minny just taking a fft at 125 this year?
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 12:13:15 AM »
So Minny just taking a fft at 125 this year?
jammen is high on Sam Brancale. Not sure how high I can be on somebody who needed sudden victory to beat Corey Hodowanic last year at the Bison Open, however.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
It's probably a bad sign I've heard of neither of those guys.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:40:51 AM »
Hodowanic was the backup 125-pounder for the Gophers last year. I saw him beat Tyler Dorrell at the Oklahoma State dual (in Dorrell's last match before John Smith yanked Ed Klimara's redshirt), but overall, he certainly wasn't a world-beater. His overall record was 8-6, but that wasn't against the strongest competition. When you're getting majored by Brian Bokoski (Nathan Kraisser's backup last year), that's never a good sign.

Brancale wrestled four matches last year, at the Bison Open, going 3-1. His only match of note, other than the sudden victory win over Hodowanic, was a 6-5 loss to eventual All-American Trent Sprenkle of North Dakota State. I don't suspect he's an awful wrestler, but Gopher fans shouldn't be looking for him to set the world on fire either. Best-case scenario is probably 1-2 at Nationals for Brancale, or a DNQ out of Hodowanic If Brancale can't hold the cut over a full season.

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
Hodowanic was the backup 125-pounder for the Gophers last year. I saw him beat Tyler Dorrell at the Oklahoma State dual (in Dorrell's last match before John Smith yanked Ed Klimara's redshirt), but overall, he certainly wasn't a world-beater. His overall record was 8-6, but that wasn't against the strongest competition. When you're getting majored by Brian Bokoski (Nathan Kraisser's backup last year), that's never a good sign.

Brancale wrestled four matches last year, at the Bison Open, going 3-1. His only match of note, other than the sudden victory win over Hodowanic, was a 6-5 loss to eventual All-American Trent Sprenkle of North Dakota State. I don't suspect he's an awful wrestler, but Gopher fans shouldn't be looking for him to set the world on fire either. Best-case scenario is probably 1-2 at Nationals for Brancale, or a DNQ out of Hodowanic If Brancale can't hold the cut over a full season.

It just amazes me that a team like this doesn't have a KNOCKOUT kind of guy at 125#  By the numbers, 125# should be the easiest to fill as you've got all the little guys from HS, and up to about 133 or 141 or so to pick from.
I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »

Thorn at 133 won't be great either imo.  R12 or worse imo. Think he's squarely behind Ramos, Graff, Schopp, Morrison, Mango, Grey, Beckman, Brewer, Gulibon, Colon and probably in the DiCamillo, Dijulius, Richards, Horan Tier.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.