Author Topic: UNI 19 - OU - 17!  (Read 12061 times)

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
Re: UNI 19 - OU - 17!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
So you think by fabricating stories about wrestlers seasons being over will change my rationale?   Your rationale behind changing others rationale seems warped.

"Loder's season is over yet he stay's in the rankings?"  "He hasn't wrestled since 11-30 and his 3-0 record doesn't justify keeping him in the rankings.  While his coaches say they are encouraged by his progress they give no time frame on his return."

Not much fabricating there Vais. 
Tax the churches.

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 07:25:59 AM »
He was no where near "smothering" him.  In fact Peters was well on his way to an escape.  He probably would have gotten it even if the inj time out had not happened.

As a card carrying member of the UNI Faithful 100, your opinions are filled with bias I'm afraid.

Funny you should say that!  A few of us in the Faithful 100 were out the other night and have come to call the conditinal new converts the Fairweather 2100.  Ron's face is the prototype for the shirts we're thinking of making.   :D
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
"we don't want new fans"

Hey, if you want our sport to die, keep that attitude.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
"we don't want new fans"

I'm sure the team hates all the fans that show up for the wrestling meets now. 

It's an exciting brand of wrestling.  Those of us that love wrestling no matter what are going to go and watch any and all wrestling, but others need a push to get out the door.  This brand of wrestling that Doug has brought to the Cedar Valley is the extra motivation that people need to get their butts in the seats. 
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
Twice.... it's DeAngelis...Dijulius wrestles for the Buckeye's or is this another of those Stiebibler deals?

Its pronounced OrangeDiJulius.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
Twice.... it's DeAngelis...Dijulius wrestles for the Buckeye's or is this another of those Stiebibler deals?

Its pronounced OrangeDiJulius.

I haven't had a DeOrangeJulius in a long time. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
"we don't want new fans"

Not gonna die anyway.  Even though your idea sounds all romantic and noble, the fact is is that we can't really have anymore fans at UNI.  Why, you ask?  Because if the powers that be continue to insist that we keep wrestling in the West Gym, the West gym is filled to capacity for each dual that we have now at 2,200 people.  So, unless they opt to move over the the McLeod Center-yes, I'm an advocate for it-then we simply won't be able to bring in anymore fans to UNI meets, pure and simple.

However, and with that said, once the leaner years return again-and they will-then, of course, all of our recent converts will rapidly start hitting the exit gates again and pee and moan about UNI being a "dead program."

Pretty keen insight, eh?
"WELL WE LOVE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS HERE AT THEOPENMAT! "-VISE GRIP 1-16-15   (NOW TELL HER HOW YOU HAD SPARKY AND ME BANNED).

RONSNAP/HERKEY, "FAITHFUL" UNI FAN THROUGH THICK AND THIN: "THE NEXT PROMO PIC WILL HAVE TO SAY (COLON) LOST TO THE NEW #1" AFTER TONIGHT...I HOPE."- 30 DEC 13, 04:04 PM

Offline ban basketball

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
"we don't want new fans"

I'm sure the team hates all the fans that show up for the wrestling meets now. 

It's an exciting brand of wrestling.  Those of us that love wrestling no matter what are going to go and watch any and all wrestling, but others need a push to get out the door.  This brand of wrestling that Doug has brought to the Cedar Valley is the extra motivation that people need to get their butts in the seats.

Yeah, but we STILL want Colon to lose though, eh?  LOL!!!

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
So you think by fabricating stories about wrestlers seasons being over will change my rationale?   Your rationale behind changing others rationale seems warped.

"Loder's season is over yet he stay's in the rankings?"  "He hasn't wrestled since 11-30 and his 3-0 record doesn't justify keeping him in the rankings.  While his coaches say they are encouraged by his progress they give no time frame on his return."

Not much fabricating there Vais.

You said "Loder's season is over yet he stay's in the rankings?"

His season wasn't and isn't over.  Therefore, you fabricated it. 

Do you think that every time someone misses extended time their season is over?  Do you think that them saying they have no timetable for return that means he's never coming back?   
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
Do you think that every time someone misses extended time their season is over?  Do you think that them saying they have no timetable for return that means he's never coming back?

I think the burden is on you to remove a wrestler from the rankings when he's missed 1 1/2 months and his coach says there is no timetable for returning.
Tax the churches.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Well, now his timetable is set -- he's back in the lineup.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »

I think the burden is on you to remove a wrestler from the rankings when he's missed 1 1/2 months and his coach says there is no timetable for returning.

I agree but that's a matter of preference to each doing their rankings.  I like TOMs because they are about now, and not a prediction of what is going to happen in March.  If you asked V and JB if they though the rankings were a guess at placing in March both would say they'd change quite a bit.  That said, Va can do whatever he likes with his.  I'm still not sure if it is about the now (Grothus) or future prediction (Loder) but they are his rankings to do however he sees fit.  Of course that also means a lot of people may wonder about them and the thought process behind them.   
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »

I agree but that's a matter of preference to each doing their rankings.  I like TOMs because they are about now, and not a prediction of what is going to happen in March.  If you asked V and JB if they though the rankings were a guess at placing in March both would say they'd change quite a bit.  That said, Va can do whatever he likes with his.  I'm still not sure if it is about the now (Grothus) or future prediction (Loder) but they are his rankings to do however he sees fit.  Of course that also means a lot of people may wonder about them and the thought process behind them.

I don't think VA's are a prediction.  His aren't just about this season.  He takes a larger sample size into consideration going back further than just this season when disecting matchups between wrestlers, whereas TOM's start from where they think guys deserve to be from the previous year and rank them accordingly based on results from the current year.  Neither way is wrong, just different from one another.  It all comes down to personal preference. 

I don't want to speak for either ranking service so if I am characterizing either set of rankings incorrectly, please say so.
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »

If you think I should remove guys who miss time, that's a different discussion.

You coming to my rankings on multiple occasions to tell me that a wrestlers season is done, when that is a complete lie pulled out of thin air is a very different discussion. 

We don't pull guys out, by and large.   I think that is fine.

The Open Mat does.  I think that is fine as well.

Mine aren't predictions by any stretch we just look at the information in front of us differently than other places. 

I didn't come here to defend/discuss my rankings either, rather just trying to get some sort of explanation from Jammen(without a complete deflection) as to why he feels compelled to lie about wrestlers seasons being ended. 
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »

I don't think VA's are a prediction.  His aren't just about this season.  He takes a larger sample size into consideration going back further than just this season when disecting matchups between wrestlers, whereas TOM's start from where they think guys deserve to be from the previous year and rank them accordingly based on results from the current year.  Neither way is wrong, just different from one another.  It all comes down to personal preference. 

I don't want to speak for either ranking service so if I am characterizing either set of rankings incorrectly, please say so.

So IYO are his rankings trying to say who is the best right now?  So even though Loder hadn't wrestled since Nam, he was still ranked 5th (or where ever he had him)?  I have no problem with him or his rankings, I'm just curious what flo's rankings are, if they aren't a prediction for nationals.  Are they saying if the season ended today this is what we think?  Are they saying if everyone is healthy and wrestled today this is how we think they'd finish? 

Rank guys any way you'd like, I'm cool with it, but let the reader know the thought process behind it.