Author Topic: 17 All-Americans  (Read 49101 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 17 All-Americans
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2021, 02:16:28 PM »
4 All Americans from WI. Two freshmen got 3rd place and all 4 were underclassmen. Only one wrestles for badgers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 04:57:07 PM »
I'll call this a partial list since I'm still plodding through today's finish.  It's a bit of an off year for NJ

2 Finalists
165 - Griffith -  Stanford - Bergen Catholic product
197 - Ferrari - Oklahoma State - spent his last 2 HS years wrestling for Bergen Catholic, after a year at Blair
(do we have to take credit for the turd)

4th Place
141 - Rivera - Rutgers
184 - Poznanski - Rutgers

7th Place
133 - Cannon - Northwestern
141 - Sherman - North Carolina

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 09:08:54 AM »
Well, you could let Texas have Ferrari and Florida have Sherman.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »
Well, you could let Texas have Ferrari and Florida have Sherman.

2 Finalists
165 - Griffith -  Stanford - Bergen Catholic product
197 - Ferrari - Oklahoma State - spent his last 2 HS years wrestling for Bergen Catholic, after a year at Blair
(do we have to take credit for the turd)

4th Place
141 - Rivera - Rutgers
184 - Poznanski - Rutgers

7th Place
133 - Cannon - Northwestern
141 - Sherman - North Carolina

I didn't realize Sherman was from Fla, confused him with another from NJ on the Blair roster.  Ferrari did 3 years HS in NJ and 1 in TX.  His fam moved to NJ when headed to Blair and stayed when he transferred to Bergen Cath after a half yea. I think there is enough to lay claim, but if Texas wants him....feel free to take him. 

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 03:40:59 PM »
Similar to Sherman.  He was a Florida kid who was recruited to Blair.  The question in these situations is whether they were elite athletes who became elite before they went to Blair, or if they were good athletes who Blair made great.  Or, for that matter, where the athlete considers "home".

Similar, in reverse, to Frankin Gomez.  He was already good in Puerto Rico, became better in NJ and even better after two years in Brandon (then college, then the Olympics).  Florida, New Jersey and Puerto Rico all are happy to call him one of theirs.

Since you didn't want Ferrari, I said Texas could claim him.  Based on similar criteria, Florida could then claim Sherman.

As Florida has become a better wrestling state, we are losing some of our best to the boarding schools.  The most recent examples are Nic Bouzakis and Kai Owen to Wyoming Seminary.  I had even heard that, many years ago, Blair had tried to recruit Rocky Cozart (Brandon coach Russ Cozart's son) one summer as he was competing at Fargo.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 10:59:39 PM »
Similar to Sherman.  He was a Florida kid who was recruited to Blair.  The question in these situations is whether they were elite athletes who became elite before they went to Blair, or if they were good athletes who Blair made great.  Or, for that matter, where the athlete considers "home".

Similar, in reverse, to Frankin Gomez.  He was already good in Puerto Rico, became better in NJ and even better after two years in Brandon (then college, then the Olympics).  Florida, New Jersey and Puerto Rico all are happy to call him one of theirs.

Since you didn't want Ferrari, I said Texas could claim him.  Based on similar criteria, Florida could then claim Sherman.

As Florida has become a better wrestling state, we are losing some of our best to the boarding schools.  The most recent examples are Nic Bouzakis and Kai Owen to Wyoming Seminary.  I had even heard that, many years ago, Blair had tried to recruit Rocky Cozart (Brandon coach Russ Cozart's son) one summer as he was competing at Fargo.

Considering Ferrari left Blair in December of his first year there, I'm sure he'd say Blair didn't help him.

Cozart - yeah sounds like Buxton.  Blair hasn't been the same since Buxton got the boot.  Wyoming Seminary has been snagging some top tier talent that would have been Buxton recruits.  A big parochial in North Jersey has been scavenging the North talent putting another dent in Blair.
Ferrari and Griffith are 2.