Author Topic: Can Dake make 70 kg?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Can Dake make 70 kg?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:12:36 AM »
He started his Sr year at 157 and moved up to take on Taylor. Could he make the drop?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Can Dake make 70 kg?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
Did he actually move up or did his body grow up?
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure Dake was at 165 his entire senior year. 

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
Dake technically certified at 157 his senior year, but certification means one thing -- that's the lowest allowable weight you can go. If I recall correctly, the lowest Dake could get (at five percent body fat while hydrated) would have been something like 156.9 .... meaning he was near the absolutely low allowable with absolutely no wiggle room.

Sure, he could have made it and it probably would have made him sluggish and weaker in the third periods. He was at the absolute edge of being able to make 157 legally. Some people can't physically make their certifiable weight regardless of what the test says. There have been cases where fairly stout heavyweights were "certified" at like 174. The preseason certification means that's what you can legally make under the rules by Feb. 16 (or something close to it).

Now take that and factor it as 2.7 pounds less than 157, although with a 24-hour weigh in. For a guy like that, my observational experience is it takes months for a wrestler to shrink their body down to a weight vs. just cutting it. Think Paulson when he made the World Team at 66kg in 2009. Took him months to do it.

I don't think it's just a "see if he can make it"

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:18:54 PM »
I would be a shame if Dake, Burroughs and Taylor couldn't all separate weights. Or at least one of them. IMO, the only guy that has the frame to go up would be Taylor.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »
Dake technically certified at 157 his senior year, but certification means one thing -- that's the lowest allowable weight you can go. If I recall correctly, the lowest Dake could get (at five percent body fat while hydrated) would have been something like 156.9 .... meaning he was near the absolutely low allowable with absolutely no wiggle room.

Sure, he could have made it and it probably would have made him sluggish and weaker in the third periods. He was at the absolute edge of being able to make 157 legally. Some people can't physically make their certifiable weight regardless of what the test says. There have been cases where fairly stout heavyweights were "certified" at like 174. The preseason certification means that's what you can legally make under the rules by Feb. 16 (or something close to it).

Now take that and factor it as 2.7 pounds less than 157, although with a 24-hour weigh in. For a guy like that, my observational experience is it takes months for a wrestler to shrink their body down to a weight vs. just cutting it. Think Paulson when he made the World Team at 66kg in 2009. Took him months to do it.

That is EXACTLY the kind of answer I was looking for. You are The Man.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
I would be a shame if Dake, Burroughs and Taylor couldn't all separate weights. Or at least one of them. IMO, the only guy that has the frame to go up would be Taylor.

Yeah, it's great to have that type of competition making each other better and really solidifying that weight.  But, on the other hand, it sucks to leave home two guys of that caliber.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:18:29 PM »

this sir is a well thought through and intelligently worded response.

As Such I reject it as absolutely false! 
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer