Poll

Under current lock down circumstances, how do you describe your activity on hereere

No change
14 (63.6%)
I come on here more frequently
1 (4.5%)
I am patient and am certain things will soon return to normal
4 (18.2%)
I see myself coming on here much less often
2 (9.1%)
I'm totally bored and will move to another discussion forum
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: June 09, 2014, 06:11:48 PM

Author Topic: Current lock down and possible elimination of "general" board  (Read 11747 times)

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
Re: Current lock down and possible elimination of "general" board
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 10:18:25 PM »
"What would the point be?"

To see if you could do it. I know I can. In fact I think I'm almost always able to refrain.

"Have I done anything recently that was in anyway a violation?  The correct answer is no.  Thank you very much steve."

I haven't discussed "violations". I'm thinking about things that "offend" whether deemed violations or not. Why on earth is it necessary to talk ABOUT other posters?

sig bet material??

Only if the bet includes the caveat I stated.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »
I see 3 people as the worst offenders of this board, CTC, Spanky and Ban.

You three are the most biased, hypocritical dipshits to ever grace wrestling boards. You have single-handedly ruined this wrestling board with your constant ignorance and dipshittery for quite some time now. The fact that you refuse to see this, just further proves how useless you all are to the board.

You notice how the board is so much more peaceful with you posting less?
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
I for one am enjoying the new civility on these boards. I was ready to move on but am happy that I decided to wait and see where Ray would go with this. So far I am pleased with his direction.

That is good Jeff.  Unfortunately not all agree with you.  We lost SVV, not sure what he did not like about the new situation.  I thought we were losing leggy too the way he said goodbye.  But I have seen him logged in since so he is still lingering.

You actually have no idea why SVV is not posting at this time. But keep assuming you know everything, we are used to it.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
Time out for Rock.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »
I don't mind it. I'm tired of banging my head against a brick wall. Studies have shown that it's practically impossible to change somebody's opinion even if you show them proof they are 100% wrong. I'm heartened by the fact that the biggest offender on the board hasn't been posting and is unhappy about the change.

Plus, I'm enjoying seeing another side to people.

Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
I for one am enjoying the new civility on these boards. I was ready to move on but am happy that I decided to wait and see where Ray would go with this. So far I am pleased with his direction.

That is good Jeff.  Unfortunately not all agree with you.  We lost SVV, not sure what he did not like about the new situation.  I thought we were losing leggy too the way he said goodbye.  But I have seen him logged in since so he is still lingering.

You actually have no idea why SVV is not posting at this time. But keep assuming you know everything, we are used to it.

Ummm you do recognize I did claim that I did not know what forced him to take leave right  Akin?  Or do you think you know something about me that I do not?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline Rain

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
Studies have shown that it's practically impossible to change somebody's opinion even if you show them proof they are 100% wrong.

Ray: how about a rule that when a member posts a fact they must provide a source supporting it if asked? If the posting member can not provide an adequate source their post is removed and they are warned and/or given a timeout.

For example, TobusRex please source your claim above.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »
Studies have shown that it's practically impossible to change somebody's opinion even if you show them proof they are 100% wrong.

Ray: how about a rule that when a member posts a fact they must provide a source supporting it if asked? If the posting member can not provide an adequate source their post is removed and they are warned and/or given a timeout.

Not tobus but I thought I would help you out Rain:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/11/how_facts_backfire/

Maybe not. Recently, a few political scientists have begun to discover a human tendency deeply discouraging to anyone with faith in the power of information. It’s this: Facts don’t necessarily have the power to change our minds. In fact, quite the opposite. In a series of studies in 2005 and 2006, researchers at the University of Michigan found that when misinformed people, particularly political partisans, were exposed to corrected facts in news stories, they rarely changed their minds. In fact, they often became even more strongly set in their beliefs. Facts, they found, were not curing misinformation. Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger. -

Offline Rain

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
CTC - I can't vote, even if the voting hadn't ended, because your choice of options were too narrow.  If the option was available my vote would have gone to 'it depends on how the admin choses to resolve the current issue.'

I don't participate much because of the hostile adversarial tone of a few members.  The members I have in mind do not engage in a discussion but rather post replies that contain name-calling, insults, taunting, or barbs in both overt, disguised, or passive aggressive manner.  They post toward the other member rather than the topic at hand.

People can disagree with the content of another member's posting and give rational evidence or opinion to dispute their claim, but NO negative personal characterization about that member, direct or indirect should be tolerated. This does require moderation so this site will need to be actively involved.  It might take more work in the beginning but once clear lines of conduct are drawn along with consistent enforcement the moderation become easier and less time-consuming.

Offline Rain

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Coach - that was an example only, but your reply was meaningful and transfers information in a non-adversarial way. Thank you.  I read the article and found it interesting and informative. Now, not every post should require footnotes of recitations but we should all tend to offer support to claims made in a post rather than having to be asked to supply it. Particularly if a claim of fact offered is to disagree with the opinion held by another person. It helps to keep the focus on the topic backed by sufficient facts supporting the counter opinion rather than language meant to belittle the other person.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 05:04:31 PM »

Tip of the day....you have the entire internet at your service, and Google is your friend. I saw that Coach was kind enough to provide an answer for you, which is good, because I probably wouldn't have, especially in light of your tone.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline Rain

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »
Sourcing a claim should be the responsibility of the person making the assertion and should be done automatically if the claim is central to the point. It bolsters credibility and raises the quality of discourse by discouraging sloppy writing and poor argumentation.

I meant to make this suggestion long ago so since we are on the topic of forum improvement I tossed it out today.

Your post was merely an example of an unsourced assertion of fact.  Please there's no need to read anything more into it. 

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »

Ummm you do recognize I did claim that I did not know what forced him to take leave right  Akin?  Or do you think you know something about me that I do not?

You inferred that his not posting is related to the "new situation", therefore you are giving a possible reason as to why he is not here. But I'm sure you will deny it and begin a new vortex, as usual.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »

You inferred that his not posting is related to the "new situation", therefore you are giving a possible reason as to why he is not here. But I'm sure you will deny it and begin a new vortex, as usual.

Wow, you really read a lot into what people post.  Try to just reply to what was written, not what you think I meant.  I did not mean to imply in any way shape or form that I had any insight into why SVV chose to dump his profile in the midst all this?

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
Then why did you say "didn't like about the new situation" if that's not what you meant?
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.