Author Topic: Speaking od NAIA ...  (Read 4944 times)

Offline ChunksOfCoal

• Bantam
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking od NAIA ...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »
Bucky Maughan won an NAIA national chamiionship and also an NCAA I championship.  I think DII, DIII, NAIA champs should get a shot at the DI tourney...they should allow that again.

Offline Stove Pipe

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
^^ChunksofCoal, I always enjoyed watching Bucky Maughn wrestle.  We Lock Haven folks first payed attn to Arthur Bucky Maughn late 1950's when he beat defending state champ Maynard Aungst in the PIAA regionals.

Offline ChunksOfCoal

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
Nice Stove Pipe!  I never had the chance to watch him wrestle...sadly, I've been on the shortend against several of his wrestlers.   He's done great for the sport, that's for sure.

Offline gg121and2

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »
Sometimes we paint with too broad a brush. I get personally offended when we intimate that many DIII athletes choose their schools because they could not academically cut it at DI schools. My daughter was a DIII athlete and I will say, confidently, that many DI athletes would have not been accepted at her school (Cornell College), Ram wrestler, Alex Coolidge, not only won a DIII Championship, but in the past 2 years has defeated 2 Iowa Hawkeyes, including an NCAA qualifier - and by all accounts, he's a hell of a student.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
I don't think ppl understand that D3 schools are a lot harder to get into academically, than other divisions. And they cost a heck of a lot more too. Pacific U is like $40,000 a year. 
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
I don't think ppl understand that D3 schools are a lot harder to get into academically, than other divisions. And they cost a heck of a lot more too. Pacific U is like $40,000 a year.

Not all are harder to get into.  Especially for athletes
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
You get some schools like Notre Dame (which is D2 but still) where kids go because of academics, and there are some D3 schools like that but most of us go D3 for other reasons other then "couldn't cut it academically"
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature