Poll

Has it been long enough?

Yes
12 (57.1%)
No
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 29, 2014, 12:40:42 PM

Author Topic: Open the politics board?  (Read 7999 times)

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Open the politics board?
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »
So it has been awhile since the lockdown. Do we think it's time for the adults on here to be able to have cordial adult debates on politics and religion?
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Open the politics board?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »
I rather see the Politic board be open than seeing politic topics on the off-topic board. So in other words, SI.
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »
I'll see your si, and si si it!!

mspart

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »
I will see your si, and raise a no.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
I will see your si, and raise a no.

I si your no
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »
Why no, heelpick?
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
No
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
For those voting no, can you give a short version of why you don't think it's a good idea?

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »
For those voting no, can you give a short version of why you don't think it's a good idea?

yes should defend their point as well

I want to protect the off topic board from politics
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »

Reopening the Politics board WOULD protect the off topic board.

I want to see it open so that those who want to discuss political issues can do so.  Those who dont want to... dont have to.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »

Threads are started out of the blue with links to what the author thought was interesting reading. Often they are what you might call "gotcha moments". Other will object and post countering "gotcha moments". Clashes occur, sometimes ugly. It's all like political advertising. Why one should or should not buy republican, democrat, liberal, or conservative.

The two current threads in the NT section fall under that heading. While the claim that the one thread was cultural has some logic, in fact the point was that certain Chicagoans may not have had their best interest served by buying Democratic. It's political advertising at it's heart.

I guess what I most object to is the constant rehashing of the ideas of others (links galore). Each one followed by attacks and re-attacks.

While I want the political advertising gone, I still favor current events threads (or a section) which will tend to be much different even as straying  into politics happens. We also seem to be minus a few bad apples.

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 04:58:17 AM »
Get rid of the politics and just let the Off-Topic board become what it shall become....all things off the topic of wrestling.   Open a thread if you want to read something political or don't.  Simple.

*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »
I would prefer a politics or current events forum separate from Off Topic. 

mspart

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

That sounds reasonable. I thought the intent of eliminating the board was to eliminate political discussion, hence, I think it needs to be restored separately from the OT board. I think the move was a hasty one on the part of management and could have been handled better.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Current events discussions are almost all political eventually.  They just turn into echo chambers or nasty tit for tats.  They turn into personal ideological attacks and just aren't worth reopening.