Poll

Has it been long enough?

Yes
12 (57.1%)
No
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 29, 2014, 12:40:42 PM

Author Topic: Open the politics board?  (Read 7992 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Open the politics board?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
Current events discussions are almost all political eventually.  They just turn into echo chambers or nasty tit for tats.  They turn into personal ideological attacks and just aren't worth reopening.

So why deny it to those who dont necessarily see it that way?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 07:15:11 AM »
For those voting no, can you give a short version of why you don't think it's a good idea?

yes should defend their point as well

I want to protect the off topic board from politics

That sounds reasonable. I thought the intent of eliminating the board was to eliminate political discussion, hence, I think it needs to be restored separately from the OT board. I think the move was a hasty one on the part of management and could have been handled better.
The whole problem was a result of poor management.  I pleaded with V from the get-go for tighter rules enforcement and monitoring.  Nobody would be banned regardless of how out of line their posts were.  The concept was "all the posters would keep everyone in check".  Didn't work.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
No it did not need any more management than anywhere else. Whining and complaining about things is what got it taken away. It became more trouble than it was worth. The solution was to monitor it no differently than everywhere else. We are big boys. If you are too sensitive, you have no business discussing or debating politics, on or off the forum. We had a handy ignore function. That managed to solve 95% of the problems.

Everything has politics tied to something. Either this forum has a spine or it doesn't.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
By the way, I don't personally care about the Fantasy Wrestling forum being that I do not participate. I would never vote to deprive people who do care about it.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »
No it did not need any more management than anywhere else. Whining and complaining about things is what got it taken away. It became more trouble than it was worth. The solution was to monitor it no differently than everywhere else. We are big boys. If you are too sensitive, you have no business discussing or debating politics, on or off the forum. We had a handy ignore function. That managed to solve 95% of the problems.

Everything has politics tied to something. Either this forum has a spine or it doesn't.
I tend to agree with most of your post; however, there are some real bad posters that say some horrific things.  They should have been banned right away and settled that problem.  I really like the moderating on the Iowa Rivals forum.  It seems to have a good balance.  Whoever does it, does a great job and would be a great contact for advice.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »
CTC, I thought you were like the ignore function Ninja. You had lots of people on ignore. Many others followed suit. I don't see the problem.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
CTC, I thought you were like the ignore function Ninja. You had lots of people on ignore. Many others followed suit. I don't see the problem.
I had 6 people on "ignore".  Just one of them should have been banned.  The other 5, I considered not worthy of reading anything they said.  The forum has gone from one extreme to the other.  I think both extremes are a mistake.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
Voting is 8-6.  Very interesting. 

mspart

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
Get rid of the politics and just let the Off-Topic board become what it shall become....all things off the topic of wrestling.   Open a thread if you want to read something political or don't.  Simple.

This.
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
Is it legal to "this" your own message?   I like it.

mspart

Offline heelpick

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
I am so glad the elections are over.  The attack ads were so tiresome.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »
amen
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Ditto that heelpick. Fortunately I rarely watch the tube so I missed a lot of the shite.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »
Allow me to posit some food for thought. The things politicians say their opponents are generally more truthful than what they say about themselves.

Why is this, you ask? Because everyone expects politicians to embellish their own resume', but if someone blatantly lies about an opponent, the public finds this grossly unfair and punishes the offender at the ballot box.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »
Allow me to posit some food for thought. The things politicians say their opponents are generally more truthful than what they say about themselves.

Why is this, you ask? Because everyone expects politicians to embellish their own resume', but if someone blatantly lies about an opponent, the public finds this grossly unfair and punishes the offender at the ballot box.

Another explanation:  politicians say good things about themselves, and have nothing good to say about their opponents.  As there is generally nothing good to be said about politicians, the latter is inherently more honest.