Author Topic: Headlock: Legal or Illegal  (Read 5128 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Headlock: Legal or Illegal
« on: December 05, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
I had a match last night where I called an illegal headlock but a well-respected official came up to me after the match and questioned it so I thought I should verify:

A takes B directly to his back and is generally parallel. Not a Saturday night ride but pretty close. He immediately locks his hands around the head (no arm) but with minimal pressure on the head. If anything he is only lifting the head up off the mat. I gave him 2 but then stopped the match and penalized him for an illegal hold.

The other official came up to me after the match and referred to the legal headlock picture at the back of the NFHS rulebook where the wrestlers are chest to chest in a pinning hold. He thought it was legal because they were parallel and pressure was only upward. I thought it was only legal because of the position of the hands. They were not locked but merely overlapping. Similar situation when wrestlers are on their feet facing each other. It's legal to cup both hands behind the neck and pull down but if you lock them around the head without an arm it's illegal.

Am I correct? Thanks for the feedback.
"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." Thomas Paine

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: Headlock: Legal or Illegal
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »
Do you have a video or picture of the hold?

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:18:19 PM »
No, I can only describe it. Close to (but not exactly) parallel, pinning situation, loose headlock around the head and the head only. No significant pressure except gently lifting up on the head.
"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." Thomas Paine

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
If it is not a side ways cranking of the head but only a lifting up in a near fall situation, it is legal.  Now, thast is being answered without actually seeing the whole situation.  Hands can be locked without an arm if in near fall and only lifting up the head straight up.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville