Author Topic: Panel approves drop-down, neutral-position stalling rules in wrestling  (Read 6078 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
I'd like to see a 1pt nearfall added as well. I like the changes. The drop down to one knee is one of the worst ways to stall.

Now, as long as they never implement that stupid sumo pushout crap, I'll be happy.

Dropping down to one knee in neutral is the worst.  I don't recall seeing it much until Robles (obviously he had no choice) and people seem to mimic it.  It is obvious stalling.

My buddy in HS was horrible at fending off singles and doubles.  He something like 16-16 his junior year.  Coach had him drop to one knee his senior year.  SOB, the kid had like 5 losses on the year and placed 8th in the state.  He completely took away all neutral offense and in fact found a technigue to shoot ankle picks off the one knee.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Wasn't sure by the way it read, but is the 3pt TD effective next season?

That's the way I read it.  4 pt near fall as well.  Maybe now we will see guys actually working to turn their opponent instead of riding the hips looking for the riding time point.

"Experimenting with a rule at the National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Star Classic that would award three points for a takedown."

it wasn't tested last season so they must be talking about testing in the '15 All Star bouts.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
I look forward to this one and its a bout changer.

" Experimenting with a rule at the National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Star Classic that would award three points for a takedown."

I've always thought the value in the effort for a takedown was weak compared to the ensuing value of the escape.  Next step is 3 points for the reversal.

Risk should earn reward.

You're correct.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
I'd like to see a 1pt nearfall added as well. I like the changes. The drop down to one knee is one of the worst ways to stall.

Now, as long as they never implement that stupid sumo pushout crap, I'll be happy.

Dropping down to one knee in neutral is the worst.  I don't recall seeing it much until Robles (obviously he had no choice) and people seem to mimic it.  It is obvious stalling.

Granted ... this was in HS .. Yet I thought it was pretty easy to attack a guy once he is down on his knee. Follow him down, yet circle fast, fast, fast and attack down at his level.
I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net

My buddy in HS was horrible at fending off singles and doubles.  He something like 16-16 his junior year.  Coach had him drop to one knee his senior year.  SOB, the kid had like 5 losses on the year and placed 8th in the state.  He completely took away all neutral offense and in fact found a technigue to shoot ankle picks off the one knee.

I started seeing it in the 90's. We had one of our kids start doing it because he couldn't stop a certain opponents, low singles. Worked well, but now kids just stay on one knee for an entire round. Pretty dumb. Matt Valenti used this a lot too.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
OK, just so I understand.  The guy is not hanging on a leg or anything like they do in overtime and hang on for dear life.  This is a round of skating on one knee to take away an offensive move on the part of the other guy?   I've seen that from time to time. 

mspart