Author Topic:  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
Ok we all know I am a Gopher fan.. But I am very impressed with how Brands has brought back the IA style. Even though I hated the Hawks I have always respected their style of wrestling.

I want to say Congrats to all Hawks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »
The true test will be after the transfers are gone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
I agree, but I have a feeling they will be tough... Maybe not dominate but tough
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:12:25 AM »
Yeah, they are going to be tough but he had a very different situation than Cael. Look at the current lineup. He brought in Slaton, Metcalf, LeClare and Borschel. How many points did those guys score at the NCAA's? ALOT. He inherited Falck, Tsirtis, Morningstar, Dennis, Keddy and Erickson. Plenty of talent there too. One thing he has excelled at is getting quality people in with the limited scholarship setup.

I think the playing field is going to be much more level in a couple years. It should be fun. Who knows? Even the Gophers may be competitive.  ;)  ;)  ;)

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »
I can't believe you're going to bring in the "two-team" argument over here.  I thought it was finally killed over at themat.  Look at what Brands has done with the likes of Keddy (come on he is a different wrestler these last two years), Erekson (bumped him up into the hwt class where this season he is competitive and next season might be a contender), Tsirtsis and M* (are starting to WIN the close matches now) and Dennis (was able to keep him in the room even when a lot of people thought he should transfer and it's paying dividends now).  The guy is a dude.  And sure there is more parity going forward, but I think a lot of kids are going to look around and see the swagger back in Iowa City and want to be a part of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by brycemus »
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »
I'm a native Hawkeye and a life long fan but I'm also a realist. Yes, all those guys have developed and they should have been expected to. If Tom is as great as you believe he is he will stand the test of time and that will happen in a couple of years.

Don't be a typically oversensitive Hawkeye fan.  ;)

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
I think cougar has it right. Bry so far I am impressed, but time will tell.

Gable relied on getting a type of kid not always the "best" kid. That is one area him and J were very different... J goes for "the best on the board". I always thought gable went after the style he knew would flourish in their system. If brands gets back to that I think the will be very tough to beat.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
I think cougar has it right. Bry so far I am impressed, but time will tell.

Gable relied on getting a type of kid not always the "best" kid. That is one area him and J were very different... J goes for "the best on the board". I always thought gable went after the style he knew would flourish in their system. If brands gets back to that I think the will be very tough to beat.
Gable had an uncommon ability to motiviate wrestlers into overachieving. If Tom has picked that up he won't have any problems.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »
I agree but he picked the right kids.. hardnosed, tough, and that had potential and had no peeked in HS.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »
If had the ability to take one team who took 4th the year before and combine it with another teams varsity lineup, I would've won a title already as well.

2 combined teams=Championship.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rockhard »
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 06:48:48 AM »
It's looks like rock is going to be incurring the wrath of bry.  :angry:

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
I don't really care about the 2 team thing, they have a 9.9 limit like everyone else.  

It really depends on how you define the Iowa style.  To me it is more than just moving forward and working on your opponent to wear them out.  Its about using that to score points and impose your will.  By that definition you can throw out about half the team from wrestling a true Iowa style.  That doesn't make guys like Tsirtsis and M* any less of a threat to be a National title, however.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by OkieSpladle »

Offline usnlt7676

• All-American
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 04:22:19 PM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"
If had the ability to take one team who took 4th the year before and combine it with another teams varsity lineup, I would've won a title already as well.

But the real question: could you convince 5 guys to give up a year of eligibility and take a scholarship cut just to wrestle for youy? if you could then yes you might win a title.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by usnlt7676 »

crablegs

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Quote from: "usnlt7676"
Quote from: "Rockhard"

But the real question: could you convince 5 guys to give up a year of eligibility and take a scholarship cut just to wrestle for youy? if you could then yes you might win a title.
My first post! YAY!

Anyway just curious I wonder how much scholarship Metcalf is on, and how much he gave up.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by crablegs »

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11:30 PM »
Crab a good question, but I would guess a half.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth