"Ain't gonna be no rematch."
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Rousey
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
styles make fights ... also not actually planning for your opponent's style makes fights easy
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
Hmmmm....You all know what I was going to say, so I won't say it.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »
Well, she got outmatched that's for sure.  I have only seen highlights of the bout but it didn't look like she had many of them.  She got beat up.  A rematch would be nice but I guess we'll see. 

Big head, big ego = Big loss. 

mspart

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 06:28:35 AM »
Her camp is clueless, they had tow years to develop basic foot work/head movement she showed nothing. It was Coleman v Smith over again. Has anyone been paying attention to the development of MMA since UFC1? Ronda, your lead outside her lead. Develop head movement. You will not be successful bull rushing a boxer with footwork and takedown defense.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
Her camp is clueless, they had tow years to develop basic foot work/head movement she showed nothing. It was Coleman v Smith over again. Has anyone been paying attention to the development of MMA since UFC1? Ronda, your lead outside her lead. Develop head movement. You will not be successful bull rushing a boxer with footwork and takedown defense.

Bingo.  People keep suggesting that Ronda tried to fight Holly's fight by standing up with her and didn't have the standup to keep up with her.  I don't think so ... she was trying desperately to get that fight to the ground.  Her standup failed her but it failed her in that she couldn't properly setup the takedown with it.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
It's tough when the great ones fall. 

Did anyone see this fight that lasted like 15 seconds.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ef5LlU4ars

I'm not sure what her opponent was thinking about flying into her like that, but she made the classic mistake of reaching for the head while on the ground.  It took Rousey a few seconds to realize that and submit her with it.  Nice moves by Rousey to get there but she did not capitalize immediately on that arm.  And her opponent was stupid for doing it.   Every kid I coach that does that I half 'em immediately and put them straight to their back and tell them never do that again.  Those kids never do that again, usually!!

So my point is that Rousey is good but she had such short fights that they weren't able to really see what she was doing wrong to make adjustments.  Or they weren't looking.  Holm and her team were looking and found it.  Keep her on her feet and beat the crap out of her. 

mspart

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »

Bingo.  People keep suggesting that Ronda tried to fight Holly's fight by standing up with her and didn't have the standup to keep up with her.  I don't think so ... she was trying desperately to get that fight to the ground.  Her standup failed her but it failed her in that she couldn't properly setup the takedown with it.

Absolutely! I just shake my head. It's like no one is paying attention. It's been over 20 years since UFC1, and camps still don't get the idea you need footwork and movement to beat the jab? Ronda has world class judo skills, as evidenced by her domination of opponents up to Holly, she could probably train that less and focus on getting her weak points stronger, she had 2 years to get a strategy together to shutdown a striker (Couture  v Smith?). Did no one ever think she would come up against someone with hands? What a disgrace!

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 09:52:40 PM »
Rousey is also victim of a relatively shallow talent pool in the women's ranks.  Being surrounded by the likes of Dana White doesn't help much either and buying into her own hype machine.  Teach her how to legitimately box and she will be fine.  She should try to seek a rematch and then a couple big paydays and call it good.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 06:53:37 AM »
Rousey is also victim of a relatively shallow talent pool in the women's ranks.  Being surrounded by the likes of Dana White doesn't help much either and buying into her own hype machine.  Teach her how to legitimately box and she will be fine.  She should try to seek a rematch and then a couple big paydays and call it good.

Every thing you say is true. But I assume she was paying her camp/trainers for the last two years. What have they been teaching her? Obviously, noting new. I really wonder about Dana, he builds Ronda up, makes her one of the standard bearers of the UFC, and then matches her up someone with hands like Holly? He stands by for two years, builds a product and then makes a bad match? Well, at least Holly looks like an interesting character, no doubt she'll be a great champion.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »

I disagree here.  Rather, why not do the opposite:  accept the fact that you are not a boxer. Use your hands to defend yourself until you gat get a hold of your opponent.  Not unlike Askren.

Look at Holm. She has no submissions wins. Why? She isn't going to lie to herself because she has moved from boxing to MMA.  Therefore, she uses her striking, but works intensely on takedown defense.  Heck, she stated over a year ago that her favorite part of training was working on sprawling.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »
Rousey reminds me a bit of Arturo Gatti.

Ronda is very very good at MMA (obviously). However, let's be honest.  She is a master of weight cutting and then weighing much more than her opponents come fight time.

Remember, she still had to make weight in the Olympics (at 20 years old) when her judo weightclass was 154lbs.  However, once she entered the UFC, she cut another 20 lbs.

Look at her fights again Correira and McMann. She looked a weightclass above them when in the octagon and imposed her will on them not unlike a 12 year old bully still in 4th grade,

The thing is with bigtime weight cutters is this: the yo-yoing of hydration causes the skin to easily cut and swell up. Heck, even though her fight with McMann was over in just over a minute, the handful of right-hands caused quite a mouse around Rousey's eye.

Same thing happened with Arturo Gatti:  Cut massive amounts of weight, gain as much as possible in the next 36 hours before getting in the ring, then "out-size" your opponent (See Gatti vs. Gamache on youtube).  In each of his losses, Gatti was impeded by guys who could move well and pick him apart until he cut arounds his eyes and puffed up his face.  After all, Ivan Robinson (a decent journeyman) took Gatti to school with movement and getting him cut.

On Saturday, Ronda faced someone she couldn't bully. Holm is just as big, just as strong (if not stronger), and had her cut with her first exchange.

There is no way Ronda is going to be able to catch up to Holm in the striking department. Rather, work on cutting off the ring..er...octagon and stop chasing opponents down. Learning how to cut off an opponent and force it into a grappling match.