Author Topic: Individual results  (Read 14732 times)

Offline buf87

• DI
    • View Profile
Individual results
« on: December 09, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
Where can a person go get individual results?

Earl at D1 use to have them.  I know Andegre with wrestling stat is trying to keep up.

What does the NCAA selection and seeding committee do to get accurate information and is it available to public or do they just get it from the coaches?

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: Individual results
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 11:30:30 AM »
Track will get there, they clean up the data generally by Tuesday,

But we all wonder why nobody covers our sport? Just trying to find results and stats is a pain in the back side.

WE ARE OUR OWN WORSE ENEMY
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
Also, if wrong info gets sent to Track it is very difficult to get it right.  Kettler over Berhow at Kaufman-Brand took a long time to get corrected.  By then it was incorrectly reported by every wrestling outlet.
Tax the churches.

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:57:30 PM »
Perhaps we need to ask the Coaches or NCAA to be more transparent with results.

For example, Illinois does a great job of providing updated statistics: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/fightingillini.com/documents/2015/12/4/15_16_Season_Stats_12_1.pdf

All you have to do is go to their team website, and there will be a quick link to the team's stats. It would be nice for other programs to follow suit.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »
I agree 100%. I blame SID in most cases. But Coaches should demand that accurate stats be kept. Other sports have all figured it out.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
Most other sports use NCAA-mandated StatCrew for results. Every school uses the exact same program. In the NAIA, it's from Daktronics.

Wrestling's complexities from a sports information standpoint make it a complete loss for StatCrew to develop a wrestling plugin for their software. They'd lose more money developing it than they would from the 300-some odd schools that COULD be using it.

Even with the Flo vs. Track thing, it still doesn't change the fact we're often passed off to grad assistants or student assistants in sports information offices and coaches, in cases I've seen, feel it's not their responsibility to do menial tasks like updating the stats. They're right, it shouldn't be their job, but if it isn't getting done, get it done.

Other sports have uniform ways to report.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Does not change the fact that individual records and match by match results are not available on each teams website. Not that complicated to do.

We do not need excuses our sport needs solutions. Fine other sports have a system, then get a system.

Maybe coming up with a uniform report is something the NWCA could focus on?

This is almost 2016 our sport needs to take a step into the next generation well we are only about three generations behind.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 01:33:31 PM »
Wrestling just isn't a priority to most athletic departments.  In the information age it should be really easy to look up any given individual stats.

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »
Wrestling just isn't a priority to most athletic departments.  In the information age it should be really easy to look up any given individual stats.

But its not.  You might be able to find the results of one particular match fairly easily, but trying to find a wrestlers record, number of pins, wins and losses against ranked opponents, etc? 

Wrestlestats.com is the best thing around since D1CW stopped doing results, and its very buggy and frequently posts duplicate results or wrong results

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:11:31 PM »
What ever happened to the NWCA Scorebook?

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
I fault each university's athletic department for not allocating a few hours a week to updating appropriate media.  On the other hand if you ask about a particular football or basketball player, you will get a 10 page dissertation.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 02:07:31 AM »
It may be the athletic deparments' responsibility, but it's our problem.  We would do well to fix it.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 08:02:05 AM »
I thought I had it better 10-12 years ago with wrestlingmall.com. I miss those days. We somehow never moved forward.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
I thought I had it better 10-12 years ago with wrestlingmall.com. I miss those days. We somehow never moved forward.

I remember there was one site that had all the wrestler's matches and it went back for a few years. Maybe it was wrestlingmall. I miss that resource, for sure. I like cross referencing wrestlers and looking at their past history. D1wrestling used to have info that went back more than 1 year as well. I guess it was too much work to keep on top of it all.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »
Wrestlingmall did it, then NWCA Scorebook was the "official" site for it, also know Earl did it but stopped because of how much time it took. 

I'd be fully willing to help out anyone willing to take it on, have plenty of spare internet time and tech skills.  That said, I probably wouldn't undertake the whole thing myself, I think we need to crowdsource it a la wikipedia.