Author Topic: A Look at the Team Race in March after CKLV/Midlands/Scuffle  (Read 15859 times)

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: A Look at the Team Race in March after CKLV/Midlands/Scuffle
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
I feel like a team that absolutely smashed the field at Cliff Keen should probably be in the discussion as well...

Mizzou is looking good. I mentioned that I perhaps may be overlooking them.
125 - Barlow McGee has been wrestling like a top 10 guy. I'm expecting him to make the R12, but would not be surprised if he sneaks his way onto the podium. He has losses to Tomasello, Dance, Peters, and Bresser.
133 - Zach Synon also has the potential to find his way onto the podium, but I'm thinking he's also a R12 guy.
141 - Matt Manley is the same story as the previous two.
149 - Lavion Mayes should be getting on the podium; although he has yet to face stiff competition.
157 - I think LaVallee is taking a RS. Mizzou will have a better shot at the title next year if he's wrestling.
165 - Daniel Lewis is a pinning machine. I have yet to watch him wrestle, but he seems like he can be similar to Taylor Walsh. Bad comparison? I think he gets on the podium in the 6-8 range.
174 - Blaise Butler has somewhat underperformed so far. He should be on the podium too.
184 - Willie Miklus is a top 6 guy, but the 184 podium is looking like a crap shoot after Dean.
197 - J'Den Cox is a title contender. Top 4 for sure.
285 - Not expecting Mizzou to score here.

Objective AA's: 3 - 149, 184, 197
125, 133, 165, and 174 are top 10 guys... but I would not be shocked to see them only make the R12. Same with LaVallee if he pulls his RS.
Potential/Ceiling: 8 AA's - no 157/285 (if LaVallee comes out of his RS, they have 9 potential AA's).

I guess my rationale for writing Mizzou off is because I honestly think they only have 1 title contender in Cox. They have good depth, but a lot of their guys are borderline AA/R12 guys. I also have trouble seeing anyone besides Cox placing inside the top 4. I think they are a very, very, very slight tier below the 4 power houses mentioned above. Their ceiling is amazing, and they're only losing Butler next year.

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
he is my darkhorse for a title.  he needs a good bracket because frankly he'll never beat McIntosh.  but I think he can beat Cox (who has letdown matches) and I think he can beat Hartmann as well.  so ... if one of those guys takes out Mc on the other side of the bracket he has a shot.

I agree no reason to put Brody up there without matches.  But I make the same argument for Snyder and Stieber (I know I know Snyder has a hell of a pedigree and will be fine).  However try to hold everyone to the same level.

In the pecking order, I put Brody over Gulibon because Gulibon is barely wrestling over 50% and has 0 notable wins (and a couple of bad losses). I suppose the argument that Brody has yet to wrestle can be used to put him under Gulibon. In all honesty, I don't think Gulibon is making the podium, but I'm still speculating that Grothus has a shot.

Hunter has a great pedigree if you base it off his healthy years (6th and 3rd at 141 with victories over guys like Kellen Russell in the past...#1 seed at the NCAA's and held a #1 ranking for a good while...36-1 record in his last healthy season). Last year, he apparently wrestled on two broken elbows and still looked tough. I'm on the side that he will return to his former self...and if he does...I believe he has the ability to beat Retherford, T-shirt, and Sorenson.

Everybody knows Snyder's pedigree. I will be shocked if he places lower than 5th. I also really, really, really want to see a Snyder vs. Gwiazdowski match.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
Given that this is all speculation I think it makes sense to include Grothus, Steiber and anyone else that could possibly show up and impact the team race.  We all know that anything from them is simply a maybe at this point, but we have a lot of those right about now.  I for one can't wait until the Cowboys announce the surprise extra semester of eligibility of Hendricks and Mo Lawal (to wrestle 184 and 197 respectively).  That should get us over the hump for #35!

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »
let's not forget that Mizzou will show up at Nationals and just implode like they always seem to
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »
let's not forget that Mizzou will show up at Nationals and just implode like they always seem to

You talking about Mizzou or Iowa?

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 04:03:58 PM »
both are vying to unseat the "poke choke"
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 09:21:58 AM »
I don't think Ohio State stands a chance this year. PSU and Okie State are way too strong for them.  I hope they prove me wrong, it's good to have somebody besides OSU/Iowa/PSU win titles.

I think you are underestimating Megaludis. He will win the championship this year, not Gilman or Tomasello. What's more I think he does so in dominant fashion over both Tomasello and Gilman. If Steiber comes back full form he'll be the best of the 4 at 149. I think people forget how good he was before he got hurt.

At this point PSU looks unstoppable to me, barring injuries. Just too strong top to bottom. OSU has some huge holes (133, 149, 184 197) where they won't score many points. Iowa is the only team that looks to have a realistic shot at PSU, unless OSU's big dogs get lots of bonus points. 

I think PSU wins at least 2 titles this year, probably more. I wouldn't count on Martinez "dominating" Nolf either. Joe Smith is nearly a clone of Martinez and Nolf beat him. I like all three of them (Nolf, Smith, Martinez) and think we're in for a treat over the next couple years at 157.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 10:02:08 AM »
I don't think Ohio State stands a chance this year. PSU and Okie State are way too strong for them.  I hope they prove me wrong, it's good to have somebody besides OSU/Iowa/PSU win titles.

I think you are underestimating Megaludis. He will win the championship this year, not Gilman or Tomasello. What's more I think he does so in dominant fashion over both Tomasello and Gilman. If Steiber comes back full form he'll be the best of the 4 at 149. I think people forget how good he was before he got hurt.

At this point PSU looks unstoppable to me, barring injuries. Just too strong top to bottom. OSU has some huge holes (133, 149, 184 197) where they won't score many points. Iowa is the only team that looks to have a realistic shot at PSU, unless OSU's big dogs get lots of bonus points. 

I think PSU wins at least 2 titles this year, probably more. I wouldn't count on Martinez "dominating" Nolf either. Joe Smith is nearly a clone of Martinez and Nolf beat him. I like all three of them (Nolf, Smith, Martinez) and think we're in for a treat over the next couple years at 157.

I'm high on Joe Smith, but he is a "clone of Martinez" that lost to the real thing in much more convincing fashion than he lost to Nolf.  I'm not counting either of them out, but IMar is on another level right now.  We'll see if anyone can close the gap.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
Has Nolf wrestled IMar yet?
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »
Not yet.  Jan 23rd they should meet in the dual and we'll find out for certain.  I've got IMar by 3-4.

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »
I got IMart by 6, I think they have similar all-attack styles but IMart is the master and has amazing defense for a guy who attacks as much as he does. 

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »

I'm high on Joe Smith, but he is a "clone of Martinez" that lost to the real thing in much more convincing fashion than he lost to Nolf.  I'm not counting either of them out, but IMar is on another level right now.  We'll see if anyone can close the gap.

I heard it was a close match until IMar hit a 4 point move, but I didn't see it.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
IMar or IMart?  And don't you think it's a tad bit racist?
We are the storm.

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
IMar or IMart?  And don't you think it's a tad bit racist?

Afraid that one went over my head....

Offline Gantry

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »
Always and forever: