Author Topic: Is the current allocation system best for wrestling?  (Read 28392 times)

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
Re: Is the current allocation system best for wrestling?
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
This system is light years better than the old one.

This is probably close to a system I would start from scratch because it relies on actual results, data-driven metrics to determine quality wins, qualifying spots per conference qualifier and you still have to wrestle your way into the tournament. Gone are the days of the stellar small-school kid getting the shaft because he had one bad match in a one-bid league.

This is the most equitable system Division I wrestling has come up with.

Dismantling conference qualification at the Division I level doesn't help strengthen wrestling. Most opinions I'm seeing against the topic all have some geographic regional format that aims to split up the Big Ten or take bids away from the Big Ten.

Prior to this system, we would have 15-20 quality wrestlers who didn't qualify. Now, there's one or two a year that have a gripe. I like those results better.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
This system is light years better than the old one.

This is probably close to a system I would start from scratch because it relies on actual results, data-driven metrics to determine quality wins, qualifying spots per conference qualifier and you still have to wrestle your way into the tournament. Gone are the days of the stellar small-school kid getting the shaft because he had one bad match in a one-bid league.

This is the most equitable system Division I wrestling has come up with.

Dismantling conference qualification at the Division I level doesn't help strengthen wrestling. Most opinions I'm seeing against the topic all have some geographic regional format that aims to split up the Big Ten or take bids away from the Big Ten.

Prior to this system, we would have 15-20 quality wrestlers who didn't qualify. Now, there's one or two a year that have a gripe. I like those results better.
Right on cue...and this guy gets it.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
It is impossible to get balanced "regional" tournaments.  The alternative will to buzz teams around the country to fill the regions.  Anything other than a conference qualifier will ad two weeks to the season or lop two weeks off the regular season as conference want their tournaments.  Look at what B12 had to do just to maintain a "conference" tournament identity.