Author Topic: Is JRob gone?  (Read 14207 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Is JRob gone?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
It would be a horrible way to go out.  I feel very badly for J.  He's a good guy, trying to do the right thing.  From his lawyer or whoever, it would seem he went to all the right people per procedure.  Why would this be doubted?  But these things hardly ever end well.  We have college coaches having to treat adults as if they are kindergartners.  Since when is that appropriate?  Since now.  And because kindergartners are unpredictable and because college coaches are "required" to know everything that is going on, anything that goes wrong is their fault. 

I see this as the current situation.  J Rob notified university officials as he was supposed to do per procedure.  Not good enough.

mspart

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
I see this as the current situation.  J Rob notified university officials as he was supposed to do per procedure.  Not good enough.

mspart

Completely different situation but same argument could be used for Joe Paterno

In regards to this situation, isn't the AD for Minnesota relatively new or am I mistaken?
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »

mspart

In regards to this situation, isn't the AD for Minnesota relatively new or am I mistaken?
Like, say, in his first WEEK on the job?

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 10:22:22 PM »

mspart

Like, say, in his first WEEK on the job?

When exposed to the first great crisis of your career I would imagine one would have a tendency to go off the deep end in bringing down the hammer wishing to set a precedent regardless of the situation or offending party
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 10:46:06 PM »
Coyle started June 1.  Wrote JR the letter on day 2.  He was advised early on even though he was not officially employed.  Given JR was instructed to forward any questions to general counsel of the university, the letter was drafted for Coyle to sign and the decision was made before Coyle was officially on board.

I don't think JR would be as deep into this as he is, had he not offered amnesty. 

I think the timing of everything may be under suspicion. Notably, the drug testing occurred on March 21 and upon return from the NCAA Championships.  I think they are trying to determine when he found out and how long before he acted.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
I don't understand the amnesty thing.  If you notiify your superiors (asst AD and interim AD) on March 11th, how can one grant amnesty?  JRob might tell the wrestlers that he would not impose further sanctions, but he couldn't speak for the University.
Tax the churches.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »
My guess is, a lot of the wrestlers involved were probably starters.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 12:57:41 PM »
My guess is, a lot of the wrestlers involved were probably starters.
My guess is they weren't. Let's see whose blanket statement turns out to be more accurate
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »
You don't go through all this for non-starters.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
You don't go through all this for non-starters.

When I was at an Oklahoma State camp a bunch of the backup guys got busted with weed, whole different situation than dealing with pain kills but Smith swept under the rug nonetheless.

From my experience even backups get the same protection, if a coach plays favorites too hard he risks alienating the team (something I have also seen happen)

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »
JRob had to go BEFORE all this mess.  The wrestling world has passed him by, and they needed new blood to get things going in the right direction again.  Unfortunately this wasn't the way he needed to go.  Minnesota will fall further than ISU if they don't handle this right.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 03:28:17 PM »
JRob had to go BEFORE all this mess.  The wrestling world has passed him by, and they needed new blood to get things going in the right direction again.  Unfortunately this wasn't the way he needed to go.  Minnesota will fall further than ISU if they don't handle this right.

Agreed.   I especially agree that this was not the way he needed to go. 

mspart

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 12:30:20 AM »
My guess is they weren't starters either.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »
Well, the police affidavit is out and there is good news and bad news.  The good news is that the wrestlers and coach will not be prosecuted for any crimes and the investigation is closed.  The bad news is that the Gopher program is now decimated.  The coaches decision to recruit a giant freshman class has backfired, as many of them are party animals/criminals whose bad attitudes destroyed team morale and induced formerly straight-laced kids (at least two starters) into drug use. 
Tax the churches.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
settle down Chicken Little
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer