Author Topic: Question about different states  (Read 5716 times)

Offline caseman

• OW
    • View Profile
Re: Question about different states
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
Michigan has a team dual tournament for all four divisions.  Four team champions are crowned.  Then a week later we have individual state championships; again with four divisions.

I just assumed that was how all states did it.
Better to die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 05:38:26 PM »
Are you sure it is 10 men in each bracket?   

mspart
Yes. The 4th placer in one regional meets the 5th placer in the other regtional and visa versa.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Snackem

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
    • Jeremy Lanthorn Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
This is the first year or state tournament at 32 man brackets. That was due to heavy snowfall that restricted travel for the regional tournament.  Some people liked it some people did not.

What did you think of the 32 man bracket for the WA tournament?  When I was up there I really liked the regional weekend. 

Oregon does the same thing 1A/2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A, and Girls all in the Memorial Coliseum.  2 days and 12 mats with 6 for the finals.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
I'm thinking that there is a weeding out at Regionals that is good.  But, this gives more wrestlers experience at State where competition is quite fierce.  One of my first years as assistant volunteer throwing dummy, there was a kid that made it to state.  But he was not tough enough.  So I started working with him pushing and shoving and whacking his head and he was just baby pawing at me.  It took 2 days to get him to start hitting me like they were going to do at State.  I think it made a difference, as he took 8th.  Granted that is not all that we really hope for, but he was ecstatic to place at State.  It was a huge win for him and I was really happy for him.  That will be an accomplishment that will stay with him a long time I think, quietly I'm sure.  No one goes around saying, Hey, I took 8th!!   

So I think there are pros and cons to the 32 man bracket.  It takes a lot more wins to place now.  That is a tough two days.

mspart