Author Topic: Ohio State wins B1G  (Read 2133 times)

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Ohio State wins B1G
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »
The man with a wife, two kids, and a tumor in his foot ices the tournament in OT.

Who would have thunk it?

I suspected tOSU was the only roster in the country that had the firepower to outscore PSU in any given tourney this year (and this remains true next year), but I really did not expect them to be able to pull it off this weekend (and unsure if they can do it again at NCAAs)

A lot of things had to go wrong for Penn State.

Here are some key notes:

-It will be very difficult for PSU to win NCAAs without Suriano. They couldn't win without him at B1Gs.

-The loss of Cortez earlier in the season is really hurting Penn State (also, if Hall was still in redshirt, Ohio State may have ran away with this)

-Gulibon has a senior meltdown and gets pinned 3x in a span of 4 matches. They need him to produce at the Big Dance.

-Retherford is Micah Jordan's kryptonite; Nolf will do Nolf things

-H2H losses in the Triple M/Nickal and BoJo/Hall Matches were the swing matches in the team race

I think Luke Pletcher is deserving of a special kudos. He stepped up and bumped up a weight class for an injured Hayes and has performanced fantastically.

Nick Nevills is also deserving of a kudos. He's my favorite Penn State wrestler, and I think what he's been able to accomplish this season despite his two setbacks the last two years is incredible. He really is underappreciated, IMO. Unfortunately, I think he has earned himself the 4 seed and will be battling Medbery or Walz for 3rd.

Offline YakRider

• DII
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio State wins B1G
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »
The man with a wife, two kids, and a tumor in his foot ices the tournament in OT.

Who would have thunk it?

I suspected tOSU was the only roster in the country that had the firepower to outscore PSU in any given tourney this year (and this remains true next year), but I really did not expect them to be able to pull it off this weekend (and unsure if they can do it again at NCAAs)

A lot of things had to go wrong for Penn State.

Here are some key notes:

-It will be very difficult for PSU to win NCAAs without Suriano. They couldn't win without him at B1Gs.

-The loss of Cortez earlier in the season is really hurting Penn State (also, if Hall was still in redshirt, Ohio State may have ran away with this)

-Gulibon has a senior meltdown and gets pinned 3x in a span of 4 matches. They need him to produce at the Big Dance.

-Retherford is Micah Jordan's kryptonite; Nolf will do Nolf things

-H2H losses in the Triple M/Nickal and BoJo/Hall Matches were the swing matches in the team race

I think Luke Pletcher is deserving of a special kudos. He stepped up and bumped up a weight class for an injured Hayes and has performanced fantastically.

Nick Nevills is also deserving of a kudos. He's my favorite Penn State wrestler, and I think what he's been able to accomplish this season despite his two setbacks the last two years is incredible. He really is underappreciated, IMO. Unfortunately, I think he has earned himself the 4 seed and will be battling Medbery or Walz for 3rd.

Yup

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »
I think this was the best and only chance for Ohio State to beat Penn State.  let's put some things in perspective and maybe most importantly:

Penn State:
No points at 125
141 was a dumpster fire

At least one of those things will not happen again.  Suriano is an All-American and possibly a finalist.
Gulibon, well we saw bad Gulibon, but there is always a chance good Gulibon shows up.

They will be better at Nationals for 1 single reason, though:  more chances to score bonus points which they will absolutely do.

I was more impressed by what Oklahoma State did than what Ohio State managed.  I mean 28-2 in a tournament?  that's impressive in any conference.  They are another team that will benefit from a larger tournament that will allow them to score bonus.

I was glad Ohio State won, any win over Penn State makes me smile.  But yeah I'll Penn State in the rematch at Nationals without even a second thought.  Oklahoma State is the only team I think that can run with them and it will take some chaos for that to happen.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
I think this was the best and only chance for Ohio State to beat Penn State.  let's put some things in perspective and maybe most importantly:

Penn State:
No points at 125
141 was a dumpster fire

At least one of those things will not happen again.  Suriano is an All-American and possibly a finalist.
Gulibon, well we saw bad Gulibon, but there is always a chance good Gulibon shows up.

They will be better at Nationals for 1 single reason, though:  more chances to score bonus points which they will absolutely do.

I was more impressed by what Oklahoma State did than what Ohio State managed.  I mean 28-2 in a tournament?  that's impressive in any conference.  They are another team that will benefit from a larger tournament that will allow them to score bonus.

I was glad Ohio State won, any win over Penn State makes me smile.  But yeah I'll Penn State in the rematch at Nationals without even a second thought.  Oklahoma State is the only team I think that can run with them and it will take some chaos for that to happen.

The second place team probably will not have 1 AA. The talent disparity is greater than you might think.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
tOSU did what they do in March. Don't count them out in 10 days. The pressure is clearly on Penn State.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
I think people are underestimating how many points Suriano will score even if they hold to the seeding suggestion and do not seed an at large bid (It's a suggestion not a rule)

Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
Suriano is a has been was been.  Won't score any points. 

mspart

Disclaimer:  This message brought to you by the Shut Happy Valley Up Coalition.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »
Suriano is a has been was been.  Won't score any points. 

mspart

Disclaimer:  This message brought to you by the Shut Happy Valley Up Coalition.
I like the way you think.  :)
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:50:28 PM »
I think people are underestimating how many points Suriano will score even if they hold to the seeding suggestion and do not seed an at large bid (It's a suggestion not a rule)

It would be a disaster, particularly if he is healthy, for competition if they did not seed an otherwise highly ranked wrestler receiving an at large offer.  It would disrupt at least 1/4 of the bracket, whichever 1/4 he was tossed into since they cant place him into a particular slot.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
Suriano will score plenty for PSU. They did the right thing saving him for the big show.
When all else fails, do the opposite...