Author Topic: pretty awesome grassroots movement over at hawkeye report  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
pretty awesome grassroots movement over at hawkeye report
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »
It started a few days ago with a fella saying he was donating 30 bucks to the hawkeye wrestling club and he simply stated, match me (or something like that). Now the total is almost to 70 grand.

A large portion (50k) was donated by one individual who I believe has also pledged a cool million towards the building of a new wrestling complex.

It will be fun to see how far this goes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: pretty awesome grassroots movement over at hawkeye report
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »
when you have a large passionate fan base it can be a blessing when it isn't a curse
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »
While I love the passion and people are free to put their money wherever they like, I question spending millions of dollars on a wrestling only facility when we still don't have any sort of professional wrestling in this country, the facility will only help one team (and, in this case, one that doesn't really need much help after leading the nation in attendance for the 11th straight year), and we'll be right back here in 10-20 years talking about needing to do it all again.  I really liked Todd's idea of an endowment which could help the latter problem, but with new facilities being built all over the country, it once again frustrates me that we can't do the same for a professional league.  One well-established pro league that is endowed to ensure its future would do more for college wrestling than any facility ever could and put much-needed money in a sport that operates mostly on charity at this point.  When I see numbers like $35 million being thrown around, I wish it was directed in a more beneficial direction.

If anyone knows someone with experience licensing and selling securities, have them contact me, please.

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 05:55:11 AM »
Okie, My guess is that most of the donors don't care as much what's good for wrestling in general. They want a winner. I'm not being critical of Iowa fans - I think fans are like that in general.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
Okie, My guess is that most of the donors don't care as much what's good for wrestling in general. They want a winner. I'm not being critical of Iowa fans - I think fans are like that in general.

I agree.  People are more often attached to their team than the sport.  I understand it but we need to find a way around it or, at least, make a stronger case for the alternative.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
We've had professional (real) wrestling before. And it failed financially. I think the superior money available in MMA would also diminish the talent pool for a viable pro wrestling league.

This doesnt mean I wouldnt want to see one, I just dont see one surviving on a long term basis. But I would love to be proved wrong.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
We've had professional (real) wrestling before. And it failed financially. I think the superior money available in MMA would also diminish the talent pool for a viable pro wrestling league.

This doesnt mean I wouldnt want to see one, I just dont see one surviving on a long term basis. But I would love to be proved wrong.

Have you read my article on how it needs to be endowed so it can lose money indefinitely while it builds a following?

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 10:55:23 AM »
Not yet. If that donor could be found, that would be fantastic, but Im not as bullish as you on its long term success. Once again, I would LOVE to be proved wrong.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
Not yet. If that donor could be found, that would be fantastic, but Im not as bullish as you on its long term success. Once again, I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

If its endowed it could fail to succeed forever and still exist, which is kind of the point.  I am bullish on the long-term potential of the plan, but it isn't necessary to give wrestling what it needs.  I'm trying to launch an effort to raise the money, but figuring out how to do so with such an ambitious goal where we don't lose too much of the money raised to fees and taxes is difficult.  I really need a good non-profit lawyer or securities expert that is a wrestling fan to bounce ideas off of.