Author Topic: Cost of a Div I All-American  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
Cost of a Div I All-American
« on: April 28, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »

A quick look at Div I program costs. 

https://www.levelchanger.com/blog/2017/4/21/how-expensive-is-an-ncaa-all-american

(Pls excuse the typos)
Jack Moses
Takedown Scoring and Stats
Takedown LIVE

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of a Div I All-American
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
In theory then, all DII teams should be extinct since they still have scholarship overhead and far less in revenue.  All DII sports for that matter.

But they aren't and most offer baseball.

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
Another look.  The spending disparity between the top 10 and bottom 10 teams is growing.

https://www.levelchanger.com/top10bottom10disparity
Jack Moses
Takedown LIVE

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
He who has the gold makes the rules.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:55 PM »
So that is total expenses for the top 10 combined, not the average per school correct.

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »
Yes, combined, not average.
Jack Moses
Takedown LIVE

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:19 AM »
Another stinging indictment of the University of Oklahoma... who spends more on its wrestlers than does OSU.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »
Updated look at the cost of a Division I All-American using data from March 2019 Championships:

https://www.levelchanger.com/blog/2020/08/14/how-expensive-is-an-ncaa-wrestling-all-american-2019
Jack Moses
Takedown LIVE

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 06:34:38 PM »
Most Efficient College Wrestling Programs

The Ivy schools should be excluded since you can't accurately derive the cost of the their programs. The overt cost of scholarships is excluded because they do not issue any within the NCAA definition; however, they do offer  financial aid beyond the campus wide qualification based on financial need.  On top of it, alumni have created covert "academic" scholarships that only student athletes qualify to receive.and many will cover the remaining cost of attendance, room and board, books and student fees.  Cornell has always had that little pot of gold stashed up top the clock tower. Chris Ayres has done a bang up job hording his ever growing stash of cash under the steps of Nassau Hall.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
Updated look at the cost of a Division I All-American using data from March 2019 Championships:

https://www.levelchanger.com/blog/2020/08/14/how-expensive-is-an-ncaa-wrestling-all-american-2019

Its even WORSE than I thought!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »

The Ivy schools should be excluded since you can't accurately derive the cost of the their programs. The overt cost of scholarships is excluded because they do not issue any within the NCAA definition; however, they do offer  financial aid beyond the campus wide qualification based on financial need.  On top of it, alumni have created covert "academic" scholarships that only student athletes qualify to receive.and many will cover the remaining cost of attendance, room and board, books and student fees.  Cornell has always had that little pot of gold stashed up top the clock tower. Chris Ayres has done a bang up job hording his ever growing stash of cash under the steps of Nassau Hall.

Maybe. Which Ivy schools have covert academic scholarships that are limited to student athletes?
Jack Moses
Takedown LIVE

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »

Maybe. Which Ivy schools have covert academic scholarships that are limited to student athletes?

They all do.  Some pots of gold are bigger than others.  Some sports benefit more than others. For wrestling, Cornell, Penn and now Princeton have the bank accounts Of late, if an alum wants to help fund a male team, an equal financial endowment must be made to a designated female sport.

The unofficial financial support is in internship opportunities which can be a sizeable chuck of tuition.  Some at U Penn would take their junior year off campus on leave to work a 9 month internship.  It didn't jeopardize the 4 years of eligibility the Ivies adopted.

The 4 year rule is why Brucki must transfer to Michigan for his 5th year.  In fact, since he is taking his senior as a medical season, don;t be surprised if he applies for a 6th year medical waiver at Michigan.