Author Topic: 2018 NCAAs Discussion  (Read 15043 times)

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
2018 NCAAs Discussion
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Lots of upsets so far.

Lee getting pinned by Diehl will have team race implications as he now sees Alber in the consos.

Hayes-Amine was a barn burner. Really thought Hayes would be the first top-5 seed to go down for awhile there.

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 NCAAs Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »
#2 LaVallee @ 157 goes down to unseeded Monday of UNC (son of 3x Olympian Monday). Micah Jordan's path to the semis just got a whole lot easier.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
Wow!!!

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
Lots of upsets so far.

Lee getting pinned by Diehl will have team race implications as he now sees Alber in the consos.

Hayes-Amine was a barn burner. Really thought Hayes would be the first top-5 seed to go down for awhile there.

#8 Lee and #9 Alper would have met tonight, now it's for survival.  The Championship is a bitch.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
Iowa's first session was about as good as it gets. I think they'll remain competitive in Session 2, but tomorrow is when PSU and tOSU will pull away.

I think PSU pulls ahead after Session 2:

PSU: 33.5
tOSU: 32
Iowa: 30.5

After that it is PSU and tOSU slugging it out to the end.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:10 PM »
My personal must-see matches on the championship side of the brackets:

125: Cruz/Bresser - This will be a 1 point match that I am going to venture and guess will end after SV-1

133: Pletcher/Parker - Pletcher has been squeaking by as expected. These 2 have history dating back to their high school days (where I think Pletcher beat Parker for a state title)

133: DeSanto/Micic - a much anticipated rematch from the CKLV. DeSanto torched Micic there, but Micic has been on fire of late; but DeSanto seems to on a crazy learning curve

141: Yianni/Heil - true frosh superstar vs. the 2x defending champ.

157: Nolf/Kemerer - probably the best 2 guys in the weight meeting in the quarters.

165: All of the quarters. All are must see. You read that right. IMar/Marstller. Joseph/White have history from high school, and it'll be a match-up between the defending D1 and D2 Champs.

174: Lewis/Jordan - They haven't wrestled since Jordan was a 65er a couple years back.

197: Conel/Moore - Conel is defying odds and taking out seeded wrestler after seeded wrestler. Can he take out #1 Moore?

197: Haught/Miklus: should be a good rematch.

285: Nevills/Dhesi: two beasts with two different styles.

285: Butler/Coon: only Cardinal still left in the champs bracket. wishing him the best of luck against the mammoth that is Coon.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
My personal must-see matches on the championship side of the brackets:

125: Cruz/Bresser - This will be a 1 point match that I am going to venture and guess will end after SV-1

133: Pletcher/Parker - Pletcher has been squeaking by as expected. These 2 have history dating back to their high school days (where I think Pletcher beat Parker for a state title)

133: DeSanto/Micic - a much anticipated rematch from the CKLV. DeSanto torched Micic there, but Micic has been on fire of late; but DeSanto seems to on a crazy learning curve

141: Yianni/Heil - true frosh superstar vs. the 2x defending champ.

157: Nolf/Kemerer - probably the best 2 guys in the weight meeting in the quarters.

165: All of the quarters. All are must see. You read that right. IMar/Marstller. Joseph/White have history from high school, and it'll be a match-up between the defending D1 and D2 Champs.

174: Lewis/Jordan - They haven't wrestled since Jordan was a 65er a couple years back.

197: Conel/Moore - Conel is defying odds and taking out seeded wrestler after seeded wrestler. Can he take out #1 Moore?

197: Haught/Miklus: should be a good rematch.

285: Nevills/Dhesi: two beasts with two different styles.

285: Butler/Coon: only Cardinal still left in the champs bracket. wishing him the best of luck against the mammoth that is Coon.

Cruz has been struggling
Micic is on fire
Heil has a long way to go to avoid a huge embarrassment.
Nolf / Kemerer Committee blew this one.  Payback for MF's at the B1Gs?

Lee v Piccinini should be a good one given the underlying rivalry.
Martinez v Marstellar...Marstellar has been screwing up this meeting for a long time
Lewis v Jordan....Lewis's biggest test for far this year.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
Since Lee "freed the knee" he is outscoring opponents 36-0 in his first two matches in about 5 minutes of wrestling.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
157 Quarterfinal - Nolf vs Kemerer

I'm still trying to figure out how the seeding committee arrived at the decision to seed Nolf 3 and Kemerer 6 for a Q Final bout.  It's pretty clear Shields, Arizona State and panaleo, Michigan were blessed with seeds higher than they earned and in doing so the committee staged this early bout between Kemerer and Nolf.

No. 1 Hidlay, North Carolina State.....I get it 24-0 including wins over Lavallee, Missouri and Jordan Ohio State,

No. 2 Lavallee, Missouri 30-2, ,lone loss was to Hidlay

No. 3 Nolf Penn State 23-1, the L by injury default.

No. 4 Joshua Shields, Arizona State, 30-3,  with losses to Kemerer and Jordan  Note the win over Pantaleo

No. 5 Alec Pantaleo, Michigan, 19-5 Losses to D'Angelo, Princeton, Heffernan, Central Michigan, Brown, Lehigh, Crone, Wisconsin, Shields and Nolf. Crone didn't even qualify for the tournament.  His lone claim to fame is a decision over Jordan Ohio State.

No. 6 Kemerer 24-1, loss to Jordan, Ohio State, Big Ten tournament (note is seeded ahead of Jordan)

No. 7 Jordan, Ohio State

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 11:26:45 AM »
Kaid getting in trouble with unseeded Wilson 12-4 in 2nd period.

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
Kaid loses to Wilson by major 13-5.   Wilson, unseeded, is going for it. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
When was the last time Ok st did not have a semi-finalist?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »
When was the last time Ok st did not have a semi-finalist?

Not sure, but the last time Iowa didn't have at least one wrestler in the finals was 1989. They only have two in the semis this year to try and keep the streak alive, and both are underdogs. Although I'd say Lee/Tomasello is a tossup, but according to seeds Lee is the underdog.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
Moore just got stuck in the quarters!   Wow,   1st period. 

mspart

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 01:35:05 PM »

Yeah. Conel took him out REAL QUICK.