Author Topic: 2018 NCAAs Discussion  (Read 15102 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 NCAAs Discussion
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »
The finals was one of the best I've seen.  There was some great wrestling prowess on display there.  It really was fun to watch. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »

I think there was a misprint on the ballot. It read "Most Obnoxious Wrestler," and his post match interview won the coaches over.

Ah, chalk it up to excessive adrenaline.  In my eyes this was the matchup of the night even before it became the bout to decide the national team title.  Nickal just hit the grand slam to win by one run in the bottom of the ninth, 7th game of the world series, 2 out, 3 balls, 2 strikes.

In every other bout on the weekend, win or lose the PSU guys walked off the mat staid and maintaining the business.

It just demonstrated how important this particular team title was to the wrestlers and to do it with a 1st round KO...against the the one opponent that is preventing him from 4 individual titles.....

Yeah, I'd say there was a little adrenaline flowing.   No doubt Martin will be replaying that one as he heads into the Championship next year.   

Unfortunately we all have to 363 days for the rematch and it's going to be a lulu. The dual meet will a slug fest, but nothing like whats going to go down when the title is back on the line in Pittsburgh....midway between Columbus and State College.

Nickal better start working on fending off that blast double because Martin won't let himself get caught again.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2018, 04:50:10 PM »

I think there was a misprint on the ballot. It read "Most Obnoxious Wrestler," and his post match interview won the coaches over.

Ah, chalk it up to excessive adrenaline.  In my eyes this was the matchup of the night even before it became the bout to decide the national team title.  Nickal just hit the grand slam to win by one run in the bottom of the ninth, 7th game of the world series, 2 out, 3 balls, 2 strikes.

In every other bout on the weekend, win or lose the PSU guys walked off the mat staid and maintaining the business.

It just demonstrated how important this particular team title was to the wrestlers and to do it with a 1st round KO...against the the one opponent that is preventing him from 4 individual titles.....

Yeah, I'd say there was a little adrenaline flowing.   No doubt Martin will be replaying that one as he heads into the Championship next year.   

Unfortunately we all have to 363 days for the rematch and it's going to be a lulu. The dual meet will a slug fest, but nothing like whats going to go down when the title is back on the line in Pittsburgh....midway between Columbus and State College.

Nickal better start working on fending off that blast double because Martin won't let himself get caught again.

It would not surprise me a bit if next year's football promo-get-the-crowd-fired-up video that's played before each game has all or parts of that rant  FWIW... I thought it was awesome. True  passion.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »
The finals was one of the best I've seen.  There was some great wrestling prowess on display there.  It really was fun to watch. 

mspart

I agree with the announcers who attributed some of that to the new "danger rule".  I think it put a severe crimp in the folks who used funk for defense only - dive between the legs, grab an ankle and hold on until a stalemate is called.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2018, 07:48:55 PM »
Lee is quite impressive.  No doubt about it.  That was a tough match, Suriano looked good, but not good enough.  He needed to do more, but everything he did Lee had an answer for.  Great match.

mspart

Since the tournament is over, RU didn't want it out there, but Suriano spent 8 days in the hospital after his last mid February dual meet with a sepsis blood infection that started in his leg and spread throughout his body. It was caught early but was life threatening if he didn't respond immediately to the antibiotics.  Think about it, no one gets stuck in a hospital bed for 8 days anymore, even after heart surgery.  He had 2 days of soft mat time before the B!G tournament.

He recovered from the infection and was ready for NCAAs but having nearly a month off the mat before the tournament didn't help him any.

You'll hear no excuses from Suriano though.  He felt well enough to win and says there was no impact his performance.  After the bout he commented to Lee, "fair and square, good win." 

No question that if both stay at 125 or both move to 133, we've got two years to look forward to some outstanding bouts between these two.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2018, 11:11:39 PM »
Best match was possibly missed by most of the viewers. 7th/8th place match between Nevills and Hemida. Most people don't associate exciting with Nevills, but they both displayed no quit in their match and had some of the most impressive scrambles. Crazy thing was that the arena was almost empty as the match came to a conclusion which was won in the final seconds.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2018, 12:57:21 AM »

Me thinks both Nickal and Martin should start preparing for Zahid. 8) No insider knowledge here, just hoping he bumps up (has a weight class ever featured 3 or more former champs?), and maybe Anthony will look better at 174.