Author Topic: Eye Pokes  (Read 551 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Eye Pokes
« on: January 09, 2020, 04:02:11 PM »
Wondering how refs are handling inadvertent eye pokes. I'll admit I've been inconsistent with this. I've called illegal holds and awarded a team point when I saw it but other times I've just stopped the match and made sure wrestler B is OK without starting any injury time. Seemed like a compromise (which is frequently done) when I didn't see what happened but not technically correct. If a wrestler indicates a more significant eye pain that requires more than just a few seconds to recover from and you didn't see for sure what happened that puts you in a bad situation.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Eye Pokes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 04:02:50 PM »
Sorry I meant I took away a match point.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
I stop the match and ask the wrestler if he needs time.  I'll give him a little more latitude to shake it off before think about the injury time process.  I then tell both wrestlers to watch their setups to the head.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 04:25:46 PM »
I stop the match and ask the wrestler if he needs time.  I'll give him a little more latitude to shake it off before think about the injury time process.  I then tell both wrestlers to watch their setups to the head.

So you would be calling injury time when wrestler A eye poked wrestler B if you didn't see what happened 100% (which is very common) instead of recovery time and 1 pt.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
Inadvertent eye poke....doing the same as metref.....firm discussion with both wrestlers....a little "extra" time to shake it off. Next one will be 1 pt for opponent, and recovery time if needed.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »
That's typically what I've done but if I see the finger go in the eye and wrestler B needs more than a few seconds to shake it off I'm giving a pt  + recovery time, assuming it was something that could have been avoided (e.g. both wrestlers aren't in the midst of a wild flurry of quick action). If you purposely put your fingers near the eye and it goes in that is your responsibility.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
I'm with you.....but you need to make that call right then and there. You can't call "my time" and then change it to 1 pt plus recover time.....