Author Topic: Body scissors  (Read 142 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
Body scissors
« on: February 09, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »
Legal body scissors....can you PD it if you feel it's getting a little too rough (due to the opponent's grunting noises)?  Would it matter if the defensive wrestler is in criteria?

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Body scissors
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »
I'm glad the don't penalize in tennis for grunting.....as annoying as it.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:22:17 PM »
You can call PD or even illegal, if you think it's being used for punishment.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:32:41 PM »
Had a situation...kid was on his back, offensive wrestler was squeezing hard (with body scissors) to keep him there on his back....I should have said something like "keep it legal" but I let it go , and then a couple grunts later, I was compelled to call a PD. Coach was not happy in the slightest. His wrestler was up 10-0 mid second period. His kid goes on to lose by a point. I can't make this up. Comes to me after the match and blames me for the loss.

"The Body Scissors has been a part of wrestling for decades. Although the maneuver is a legal hold in wrestling, referees should be very vigilant of it when applied. If the offensive wrestler is utilizing the body scissors to improve his/her position or to secure a fall, the maneuver is being properly executed. However, if the body scissors is applied solely to inflict pain, the referee must be prepared to break the hold immediately and penalize the offender for an illegal action, according to Rule 7-1-5u. "

In retrospect the offensive wrestler wasn't "solely" using it to inflict pain but rather help him earn the pin/fall. I'm torn whether or not I made the right call. Safety is the number 1 priority but I hate to penalize (or stop a match) on the offensive wrestler who is trying to secure the pin.

Still a little torn on this....I know you can't argue a PD, but.....

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:13:09 PM »
Pain is part of the sport is it not?

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:12:10 PM »
I've called PD before for a body scissors. Could have called illegal but PD is a good compromise when you aren't 100% sure. The guy on top just had it in and was grunting as he squeezed as hard as he could. Focused solely on squeezing the scissors and he wasn't doing anything else. Absollutely nothing with his arms. No effort to turn the guy. Yah, the guy on the bottom was obviously in pain but the guy on top made it obvious too.

A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:19 PM »
Thanks RV! He was holding the kid down trying to get the pin and near fall. I think if I did more preventive officiating, the entire situation could have been avoided. Watch the scissors, keep it legal, something along those lines....lesson learned.....Not too often where I see a heavily applied body scissors in a match.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!