Author Topic: Russia banned from the Olympics and Soccer World Cup for 4 years. But....  (Read 675 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/28257518/wada-imposes-four-year-ban-russia

Russian athletes can still compete. just not under the Russian flag

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Russia banned from the Olympics and Soccer World Cup for 4 years. But....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
Quote from: ESPN
but would allow some Russians to compete as neutrals if they can prove they weren't affected by the doping.

By my reading of this and another source, by default Russian athletes cannot compete.  Hard to say how difficult it will be to get an exemption.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:26 PM »
Quote from: ESPN
but would allow some Russians to compete as neutrals if they can prove they weren't affected by the doping.

By my reading of this and another source, by default Russian athletes cannot compete.  Hard to say how difficult it will be to get an exemption.

Here is the gap enabling participation that I've read in several articles.

"allowed to compete in major events only if they are not implicated in positive doping tests or if their data was not manipulated"

So if one has tested positive in the past - can't compete.

The gap to compete - "must prove" their test data in a test result document was not manipulated by Russians before submission to WADA.

What know has reported is the process of appeal.  Presumably if the athlete can gather past negative results proving they are clean, they can compete.  Presumably, there are tests results from sources other than the Russian athletic committees that can be offered s evidence enabling admission to the Games.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
I'm guessing they'll find a way to be there.  At least many of them will. 

mspart

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
The difficulty in understanding the Russians we do not take cognizance of the fact he is not a European, but an Asiatic therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than Chinese or a Japanese.  From what I have seen of them I have no particular desire to understand them except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them.  In addition to his other amiable characteristics, the Russians have no regard for human life and they are all out son of bitches,barbarians
and chronic drunks.  - George Patton
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 06:21:38 PM »
He had a definite view of the situation.   Old blood and guts:

mspart

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 11:54:53 PM »
He had a definite view of the situation.   Old blood and guts:

mspart

There was a board wargame in the 80s called Red Star Falling that covers this. In 1945 the Allies and the post-NAZI German Wermacht join forces and take on Russia in Eastern Europe.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »
I'm guessing they'll find a way to be there.  At least many of them will. 

mspart
Will we see a mass exodus of Russians to their former client states? (Ie Moldavia, Estonia, etc) or is is too late to qualify?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 08:11:18 PM »
Russian wrestlers can't compete under the Russian flag but they can compete under the Olympic flag, if they don't have tainted drug tests.

If one has a bad drug test or fudged numbers it doesn't matter which flag they try to wrestle under, they're banned.  Russian wrestlers have qualified 5 freestyle weight classes (not 125), 3 Greco and 1 for women.  The question is, who will be suiting up under the 5 rings