Author Topic: More Trivia  (Read 7331 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: More Trivia
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
How'd you guess?  That's pretty good and on the second try!! 

I have to say I really enjoyed it when it was in Minneapolis.  I've been to more US Nationals in Vegas than NCAA's.  Those were fun too.

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »
More  personal trivia.  What was the highest place at States that I ever got? 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2020, 05:49:49 PM »
More  personal trivia.  What was the highest place at States that I ever got? 

mspart
never placed?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »
Wow you have a high opinion of me don't you!!! 

Actually that is the correct answer, with a caveat.  I never went to state.

HS was a 3 year deal.  My sophomore year I took 2nd in districts and 6th in regionals.  Not good enough for State

My junior year I got Russian Flu, recovered, worked really hard to get back in shape and relapsed.  Missed State.

My senior year was during the Iran deal with the Ayatollah.   Our swim coach found an ex Iranian team member in the local gym.  His name was Abi.   I thought, here is the guy I need to get me ready to go to State.  So he helped me out a bit.  But being a high level wrestler, when he showed me how to counter a fireman's carry, he whipped it out and hyperextended my right arm.  Made mincemeat of the tendons in there.  I could not recover in time for State.  I was able to finish my Eagle Scout as a result.  So something good came out of it.  My right arm does not fully straighten to this day. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2020, 12:11:26 PM »
Wow you have a high opinion of me don't you!!! 

Actually that is the correct answer, with a caveat.  I never went to state.

HS was a 3 year deal.  My sophomore year I took 2nd in districts and 6th in regionals.  Not good enough for State

My junior year I got Russian Flu, recovered, worked really hard to get back in shape and relapsed.  Missed State.

My senior year was during the Iran deal with the Ayatollah.   Our swim coach found an ex Iranian team member in the local gym.  His name was Abi.   I thought, here is the guy I need to get me ready to go to State.  So he helped me out a bit.  But being a high level wrestler, when he showed me how to counter a fireman's carry, he whipped it out and hyperextended my right arm.  Made mincemeat of the tendons in there.  I could not recover in time for State.  I was able to finish my Eagle Scout as a result.  So something good came out of it.  My right arm does not fully straighten to this day. 

mspart

How big was he?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 08:49:07 PM »
Well, I wrestled at 115, weighed about 114.  I'm guessing that he was somewhere around 140.  It's been a long time ago.  I was doing really well that year, had finally gotten the mental attitude right to kill or be killed.   And then it was all taken away.   That hurt worse than the injury, which hurt a lot.  i don't know his last name and would not be able to pick him out of a lineup anymore.   He was nice enough, but my coaches did not like him.  I thought he was ok and knew some stuff that would help me.  If he hadn't have been so aggressive whipping around like he did, I would have learned how to get out of a fireman's and gone on with my senior year of wrestling.  Oh well, like I said, I got my Eagle Scout so that was a good thing.

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »
After winning regionals, I got the flu. Unfortunately two other wrestlers in OK died that season after coming back too soon from the flu, so I wasnt allowed to compete.  I remember trying to workout that week and was so weak I couldnt go a 2 min period.

Shit happens for a reason I guess. I felt vindicated when I was offered 1/2 rides at 2 D1 schools. To have college coaches see my potential was all the validation I needed. So I "retired".

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
I have a similar story.  I was a woulda, shoulda, coulda at state.  My junior year in 1973 I won my first match easily, then got beat 4-0 (escape, TD, riding time) by the eventual champion.  There were no wrestlebacks that year.  I was undefeated (with a draw) the next year.  My coach could have gotten me seeded 4th, but wanted to get me in the opposite bracket from the 2-time defending champ.  Since there was no internet then, he was unaware that the champ had a back injury and wasn't up to his normal standards.  I had a bad case of the flu.  I won my first match, then puked my guts out twice before my second match.  I was weak as a kitten and weighed 125 1/2, with the weight class at 129 the first day and 130 the second day.  I got beat 7-5  by the guy who took third.  I think a healthy me would have beaten me by 8 or 10.  They started wrestlebacks that year, but you had to lose to a finalist to get in.  In the meantime, a guy I beat four times lost in OT to the defending champ and finished 4th.  The champ got pinned in the finals, so I would have been better off being in his side of the bracket.

As a side note, the defending champ destroyed that year's champ in a post season tournament, once he was healthy again.

Side note #2:  There were 12 weight classes that year and they placed the top four, for a total of 48 placers.  It was a 16 man bracket, so there were 192 wrestlers.  Florida now has three school classifications and places to sixth place, so there are 42 state champs, 252 placers and 672 qualifiers.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 10:38:21 AM »
I have a Question.  I don't know the answer:  How many NCAA D1 wrestlers have been in 4 finals?  No need to put Sanderson, Pat Smith, Dake, or Logiebear. 

I think David Taylor is one.  Are there others?  Perhaps McIlravy. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »
I read somewhere that Isaiah Martinez, was #16 to do it.  Add in Nolf and Nickal, that's 18 4 time finalists.

To add to your four defintes: Cale Sanderson, Pat Smith, Kyle Dake,and Logan Stieber, here's 14 more

3 1st X 1 2nd

Jason Nolf, Penn State
Bo Nickal, Penn State
Kyle Snyder, Ohio State
Mark Schultz, Oklahoma
Ed Banach, Iowa
Ben Askren, Missouri
Lincoln McIlravy, Iowa
Lee Kemp, Wisconsin
Steve Mocco, Iowa & Oklahoma State

2 1st X 2  2nd

David Taylor, Penn State
Darryl Burley, Lehigh
Jake Varner, Iowa State
Pat Milkovich, Michigan State
Isaiah Martinez, Illinois

1 1st x 3  2nd
Duane Goldman, Iowa

Vincenzo Joseph #2 seed and Mark Hall #1 seed were 3 time finalists with No.4 - 2020 cancelled, both are NWCA 1st team All-Americans.  Given their seeds and the cancellation, does that count?

Brands applied to the NCAA to give Spencer Lee and added year due to the tournament cancellation.  If awarded, Penn State should do the same for Hall and Joseph.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »

2 1st X 2  2nd

David Taylor, Penn State
Darryl Burley, Lehigh   I saw Daryl take 2nd to Randy Lewis at Corvallis.  They made a huge deal out of him being an NCAA champ as a Freshman.
Jake Varner, Iowa State

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2020, 07:20:49 PM »

2 1st X 2  2nd

David Taylor, Penn State
Darryl Burley, Lehigh   I saw Daryl take 2nd to Randy Lewis at Corvallis.  They made a huge deal out of him being an NCAA champ as a Freshman.
Jake Varner, Iowa State

No one expected Darryl to have the career he had coming out of HS.  That freshman year he entered the tournament as the No. 1 seed.  That's a tough one to meet as a true freshman at a middle weight.

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2020, 04:39:24 PM »
I have a Question.  I don't know the answer:  How many NCAA D1 wrestlers have been in 4 finals?  No need to put Sanderson, Pat Smith, Dake, or Logiebear. 

I think David Taylor is one.  Are there others?  Perhaps McIlravy. 

mspart

Lee Kemp was a split judge's decision from being the 1st 4 timer. He may be the hardest wrestler to score on that I've ever seen.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:31 PM »

2 1st X 2  2nd

David Taylor, Penn State
Jake Varner, Iowa State

No one expected Darryl to have the career he had coming out of HS.  That freshman year he entered the tournament as the No. 1 seed.  That's a tough one to meet as a true freshman at a middle weight.

mspart

Actually he was the #2 seed to Lewis #1. Burley won as the #2 seed to Mile Land the #1 seed the year before. His Junior year he lost to Jim Gibbons then took a redshirt and finally won over Al Freeman (who defaulted) at 142 as a Senior.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2020, 04:49:55 PM »

2 1st X 2  2nd

David Taylor, Penn State
Jake Varner, Iowa State

mspart

Actually he was the #2 seed to Lewis #1. Burley won as the #2 seed to Mile Land the #1 seed the year before. His Junior year he lost to Jim Gibbons then took a redshirt and finally won over Al Freeman (who defaulted) at 142 as a Senior.

NCAA Brackets https://nwhof.org/stillwater/resources-library/ncaa-brackets/