Author Topic: The problem with practice  (Read 250 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
The problem with practice
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »
Assume all wrestlers are COVID free, where they live is the same and all the people they know are the same. 

What is more likely:  a)  one will get covid if they are all on the mat at the same time practicing or b) one of them will get ringworm or some other skin disease?

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with practice
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
Under your conditions, it is clearly ringworm.

But it's a college campus and kids are reckless.  A good example is the 28 from U Texas that left on Spring break and cam home COVID infected.
And that was just a cluster that was in Mexico on spring break.

Just imagine the calamity on campuses across the country had COVID snapped on us in February or April.  The vast majority of kids would have been fine.  Not so for the faculty.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
Yeah, you would have to sequester everyone participating so they don't get it from the general public.   I get your point about adults, and that is why they aren't opening schools.  I'm still not sure what they are going to do for next year. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »
Wrestling, soccer, basketball and football are the most difficult to control. More so wrestling and basketball due to the heavy respiration and close contact. Wrestlers, soccerers, and b ballers can't wear facial cover.  I think you will see some form of engineering of the helmet that will enable football to compete.

Baseball can wear facial cover at the plate.  Close plays on the bags are bang bang, little exposure and fielders are separated.  The just need to control the separation on the bench and put the B team in the stands.  Temporarily prohibit stealing, that way there is no need to hold a runner close to first, by being close.

Golf and tennis, little exposure.
Lacrosse, hockey, fencing and field hockey, engineer the helmet.
Track...reduce finals to 4 top times.
Field, maintain separation.
Gymnastics - sanitize the hands before and after.