Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time  (Read 931 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Daylight Savings Time
« on: November 01, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
It's more like Daylight Taking Time

Bring it back.  This is the worst day of year.  Nothing happened and they are telling you to turn your clock back and lose an hour of daylight.  Now we are stuck with it for 4 months.  On the east side of the time zone it makes a huge difference.  At least those on the west side of the zone get an hour of more day light than the east side.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 07:32:52 AM »
Just ignore it.
We are the storm.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 07:59:54 AM »
The biological clock ignores it .....for a while. 

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 08:23:57 PM »
I don't set an alarm anyway and head out the door and come home from work on my clock.  No problem.  I still work 50+ hours a week during my slow time of year anyway.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
We should stick with one and not switch back and forth. We get the same daylight either way.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »
It's useful daylight that counts.  1 hour less in the AM brings 1 hour more in the evening.  It's dark here before 5:00 PM for 8 weeks. Dark at 5:30 - 6:00 PM is a whale of a difference.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
Just be happy the powers that be only make it 1 time zone instead of 3. 

mspart

Online Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »
Or worse, we could be like China with one time zone throughout the whole country, even though their country is similar in size to the US.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
That's the official story.  However, I have heard that they unofficially do their own time zones. 

mspart

Online Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »
Well, the time was the same throughout the country when I was there on vacation (seeing the Great Wall was on my wife's bucket list, but I wouldn't recommend the trip) several years ago.  Do you mean that working hours could be 7:00-4:00 in parts of the country and 9:00-6:00 in others to conform more to daylight?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 03:13:41 PM »
Yes, that is my understanding.  Sure it would be 9:00 am in China but pitch black on the western side, so they would start work at 12:00 noon or something along those lines. 

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »
I stayed in Beijing one time after the Olympics.   It was nasty polluted, you couldn't see across the street.  But when we got out of Beijing towards the WALL, everything cleared up.  The Wall was really impressive.  It was one of the highlights of that trip. We didn't have any business there, just spent the weekend.  The Summer Palace was also pretty cool.  If I didn't have a local as my traveling buddy, I'd have been really lost.  He's from Hangzhou and lived through the Cultural Revolution and remembers bodies in the streets. 

Fun trip. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 04:26:23 PM »
I stayed in Beijing one time after the Olympics.   It was nasty polluted, you couldn't see across the street.  But when we got out of Beijing towards the WALL, everything cleared up.  The Wall was really impressive.  It was one of the highlights of that trip. We didn't have any business there, just spent the weekend.  The Summer Palace was also pretty cool.  If I didn't have a local as my traveling buddy, I'd have been really lost.  He's from Hangzhou and lived through the Cultural Revolution and remembers bodies in the streets. 

Fun trip. 

mspart

Would love to hear his stories
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 07:40:37 PM »
I can't remember most of his stories, but a few I remember,

1.  China never tried to take over anyone.    Everyone tried to take them over and they just got swallowed up in Chinese culture.  Boundaries grew that way also.

2.  Confucius not a good guy.   We were in the town of Jinan where Confucius lived.   You could go visit his house.  I wanted to go but my friend did not.  It turns out he did not like Confucius.  He said he was an apologist for the emperor so if the emperor says you eat maggots and that's it, that what you do.  Whatever the emperor said was all good. 
I was still wondering about that.  I was not about to go there on my own so I never went.

3.  When crossing the street, he said you can go just about anytime as long as you keep moving.  Do not stop.  Never stop.  I wondered about that too, but he was right.  If you are moving at a constant speed, traffic can figure that out.  If you stop, all bets are off.  You are now where traffic figured you would not be.  Might be it for you.

4.  Deng Xiao Ping  - he was an opportunist.  He was under Mao and would do things, but he would mess up.   So Mao would punish him in a camp or something and he went willingly.  While there he was making connections.  He came out and worked with Mao again.   Someone didn't like him and got Mao agruy at him and had him thrown in the camp again.  He went willingly saying it woudl be for his own good.   Again, he was networking.   He got out and Mao was nearing death.  Similar to Milosovich, Mao was warned not to let Deng be the next leader.  Well, we know what happened.  It turns out that Deng was not the leader, but said he'd be 2nd.  So he was.   But with all the networking he did, #1 couldn't get anything done without Deng's approval.  So he gave up and Deng became #1. 

5.  He made Mao sound almost forgivable.  Russia  lost a lot of poeple in WWII and it now became patriotic to have lots of kids.  Mao figured if it was good for the Soviets, it was good for China.  He had advisers telling him that this could not be done because they already have too many people.  Off to the camp with those guys.  But the way he told it it was like Mao was not really in control or making decisions to make peoples' lives miserable.  Anyway, after a few advisers were disappeared, they got the hint and it was patriotic to have lots of kids.  Of course that changed to one kid only for decades.  But Mao was not really very smart I don't think they way he described him.  Not much original thought there.  But dangerous for sure. 

That's about it  There were other stories of Mao's abuse of the population.  Not a great situation for sure.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 06:03:51 PM »
I like General Tso's Chicken. It's about the only thing Chinese I like (that and Shrimp Chow Mien, but not sure if that's really Chinese).  Since Tso dates to the mid 1800's I self justify eating it.