Author Topic: The Smiths  (Read 2406 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
The Smiths
« on: February 09, 2021, 10:39:38 AM »
The Wrestling HOF has a podcast series called Etched in Stone. The new one is called "the Smiths". (If you have to ask which Smiths they are talking about you have reached TheOpenMat by mistake).

There are 7 series episodes and 4 bonus episodes. Its very interesting stuff and includes the LeRoy v Lewis/Gable controversy, John's world title run, Pat's 4X quest, OSU's probaation etc,

Im on episode 6 and its really fascinating.  Here are some links

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9ldGNoZWRpbnN0b25lLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/January/29/Smiths-podcast-NWHOF

(I do NOT recommend accessing this podcast through the NWHOF however as it paused everytiime my cell screen went off. But when I logged in through Sticher it worked fine)

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: The Smiths
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:05:26 PM »
Sounds cool.  Let us know how it ends!!!

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:40:01 AM »
Sounds cool.  Let us know how it ends!!!

mspart

LOL.... that last chapter has yet to be written.

One of the bonus podcasts is an hour long interview with Dan Gable on the Smiths. Some really good stories there.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 11:39:07 AM »
At first I thought you were talking about these guys:

mspart

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:29:30 AM »
At the senior level John's international record was 100-5. He won 6 consecutive world championships and two Olympic golds.  Clearly the greatest U.S. wrestler of all time. 

The amount of recognition Gable receives compared to J. Smith is absurd.
We are the storm.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:43:54 AM »
And I might add he could probably still be competitive at age 55!  He's in fantastic shape.
We are the storm.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 05:05:52 PM »
I see Gable's coaching career to be bigger than his wrestling career. When you add Gable's coaching record into the equation, Smith's combined record is secondary.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »
I can accept that.
We are the storm.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 01:53:23 PM »
Yeah, that is a fair point.

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 10:53:07 AM »
And I might add he could probably still be competitive at age 55!  He's in fantastic shape.

So some new hire in the athletic dept ( a recent college grad) who had wrestled in HS decided to challenge Smith on the mat. I watched the video (sadly can’t find it now) but after about :45 and a lot of scrambling, Smith finally secured his TD.

I was kinda shocked and I think he was too.  ;D