Author Topic: B1G Pre-seeds  (Read 2210 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: B1G Pre-seeds
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2021, 03:30:24 PM »
If there is a goat on that mountain its OSU has a few tin cans to choose from

157 #6 seed for points goes 2 and BBQ for zip.
165 #1 seed drops in the semi
174 # 3 seed drops his Q final (at least the OSU #197 upsets his way to the semi to make up for 174)
285 #5 seed goes 2 and BBQ.

Win one bout and OSU keeps its title.

Is it me ? I sense OSU has a history of under performing in tournaments in the past few years.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »
Eierman may have gotten the tournament wrestler award, but there should be something for the kid the wrestles way over his head.

Rutgers 149 Van Brill lost his opener to the 9 seed, then wrestles back knocking out seeds #5, #2, #3, and #6 to take a bronze.  The kid entered with a 1-3 record.

I guess you could say his bronze after that run is a sufficient recognition of the effort.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 03:59:33 PM »
Is it me ? I sense OSU has a history of under performing in tournaments in the past few years.

I have been saying this for years.  I got slammed for doing so, but they always seem to not get the thrill of victory, rather they get the agony of defeat.   Seems to happen to quite a few of their wrestlers.   

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 05:28:22 PM »
B1G brackets are here.

https://bigten.org/documents/2021/3/7//2021_Big_Ten_Bracket.pdf?id=6982

Steveson with a dominant performance. 

IOWA wrested to seed except for the following:

Improved:
#9 Brands comes out #4

Choked:
#2 Murin 2 and out

By contrast,  PSU wrestled to seed except for the following:

Improved
#11 Howard finishes #6
#3 Starocci finishes #2
#7 Beard finishes #6
#7 Kerkvliet finishes #4

Choked
#11 Bartlett finishes #12-#16
#5 Berge finishes #6
#6 Lee finishes #8

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 08:21:15 PM »
Speaking of Eierman.....

2016 - Missouri Red Shirt
2017 - Missouri
2018 - Missouri
2019 - Missouri
2020 - Olympic Waiver
2021 - Iowa
2022 - Don't tell me he's getting a COVID season courtesy of the NCAA

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 08:40:33 PM »
If there is a goat on that mountain its OSU has a few tin cans to choose from

157 #6 seed for points goes 2 and BBQ for zip.
165 #1 seed drops in the semi
174 # 3 seed drops his Q final (at least the OSU #197 upsets his way to the semi to make up for 174)
285 #5 seed goes 2 and BBQ.

Madrigal had a 3-7 record including getting thrashed then stuck by Fix in the dual. But in the finals he fought hard wit a TD and a LONG ride and kept Fix from gaining a bonus win.

Smith told us that Fix was looking better than he ever has before. But if he wrestles like that at the NCAA, he will NOT win it.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 08:47:07 PM »
They've wrestled well plus Brands even left his teeth marks on PSU.
I don't think so.  Biting leaves both an upper and lower indentation.  Good tip-off on this - Brooks never complained of a bite.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 08:52:11 PM »
Speaking of Eierman.....

2016 - Missouri Red Shirt
2017 - Missouri
2018 - Missouri
2019 - Missouri
2020 - Olympic Waiver
2021 - Iowa
2022 - Don't tell me he's getting a COVID season courtesy of the NCAA
Rumor I heard is he is coming back as is Marinelli and Kemerer.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2021, 04:09:50 AM »
But on behalf of the entire Sooner Nation let me offer a hearty BOOMER SOONER to OSU wrestler Kaden Gfeller for his special contribution to our Co-Championship!

Certainly Gfeller's failure to score more team points was a factor in OSU ending up as Big 12 co-champions instead of outright champions. But I don't think he deliberately underperformed. I feel a little sorry for Gfeller, considering how he probably feels about having failed to perform better.

I also feel a little sorry for those people who take pleasure in celebrating other people's failures.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2021, 11:56:43 AM »

"We definitely didn't want the co-championship. I think each team would've preferred to have won it, but congratulations to Oklahoma on a good effort and the things they did to put themselves in a position to win. It is what it is, but it reminds each guy in tight races like this to think about what they could have done to score one more point." - John Smith
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »
But on behalf of the entire Sooner Nation let me offer a hearty BOOMER SOONER to OSU wrestler Kaden Gfeller for his special contribution to our Co-Championship!

Certainly Gfeller's failure to score more team points was a factor in OSU ending up as Big 12 co-champions instead of outright champions. But I don't think he deliberately underperformed. I feel a little sorry for Gfeller, considering how he probably feels about having failed to perform better.

I also feel a little sorry for those people who take pleasure in celebrating other people's failures.

I guess you didnt hear....

OSU was deducted a team point for his use of foul language during or following his consolation bout loss.  I would never make fun of a fellow Charger for a loss, but doing something rash and foolish is fair game!  :D
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »

FWIW... I think with the exception of Ferrarri, every member of that team underperformed in that tournament. And I think Smith would admit that. 

Fix's finals performance was especiually disappointing to them Im sure given how how dominated Madrigal just a couple of weeks ago.  In fact Smith was bragging before the tournament about how he was wrestling better than he ever had before.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2021, 02:22:38 PM »
Maybe overconfidence and not putting in 110%. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2021, 02:36:50 PM »

I guess you didnt hear....

OSU was deducted a team point for his use of foul language during or following his consolation bout loss.

That stings.

All in all OSU under performed as a team.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2021, 02:49:03 PM »
Can anyone find the Big 12 finished brackets?  I have looked and cannot find them.

mspart