Author Topic: Div I Championships on the Tube  (Read 9673 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Div I Championships on the Tube
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »
Lewallen OSU lucks out with a clock failure.  Campbell gets screwed out an upset.  No way they should have replayed the final 7 secs.

If I were ruling that match, I would give Boo the loss. The only excuse for doing those 7 seconds over is that it's what the rule book says to do in case of a clock failure, according to the rules official who gave an explanation after the match. But I have to give Boo some credit for getting a 6-second takedown after getting his second chance. I don't blame the Campbell coaches for being pissed.
The Flo guys put it to a stop watch and they said the original time was 5 seconds. If the Flo guys can use a stop watch why cant the NCAA?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 02:19:35 PM »
An alternative to the mat clock is not published in the rule book per the head of officials.  The mat clock you see is the only clock used.

I am sure it will be raised in the off season discussions. 

I was surprised Campbell wasn't dinged for backing up and out on the first restart.  Then again, he would have been saved by the clock failure.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »
3rd session

Got some upsets.  Semi's are set.  UVU has two in the semi's, only the 3rd and 4th AA in their history.  Perhaps they are getting better at recruiting and growth. 

I will only highlight the surprises here (anyone not top 4 seed):

125  #7 Lamont of UVU
133  None
141  None
149  None
157  None
165  #8 Griffith takes out #1 Marinelli 3-1.  #5 Hartman takes out #4 Mehki (medical forfeit).  #7 Smith takes out #2 Valencia 13-4.   So only 1 in top four in the semi's.  Wide open this weight!
174  #12 Truax takes out #4 Labriola 4-2.
184  #6 Poznanski takes out #3 Deprez 8-4
197 #26 Woodley takes out #15 Beard 8-3, #6 Bonacorsi takes out #3 Norfleet 4-1,
285  #5 Cassiopi takes out #4 Schultz 4-1, #6 Gremel deg #14 Hilger 2-1.

Some surprises here for sure. 

mspart

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »
Not a big year for upsets so far.

There've been some interesting upsets so far today. It can't be too common to have the 8-seed beat the 1-seed to face the 5-seed in a semifinal missing both the 1-seed and 2-seed (see Champ 165 bracket). Or to have the 12-seed beat both the 5-seed and the 4-seed to reach the semifinal (Champ 174 bracket). Or to have the 26-seed make it to the semifinal, with help from the 31-seed who pinned the 2-seed (Champ 197 bracket).

I got excited when I watched the 29-seed knock off the 3-seed and then pin the 11-seed in his next bout (Consi 285 bracket).

Vise and I are both hoping for at least one more upset in the semifinals tonight at 197.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »
Not a big year for upsets so far.

There've been some interesting upsets so far today. It can't be too common to have the 8-seed beat the 1-seed to face the 5-seed in a semifinal missing both the 1-seed and 2-seed (see Champ 165 bracket). Or to have the 12-seed beat both the 5-seed and the 4-seed to reach the semifinal (Champ 174 bracket). Or to have the 26-seed make it to the semifinal, with help from the 31-seed who pinned the 2-seed (Champ 197 bracket).

I got excited when I watched the 29-seed knock off the 3-seed and then pin the 11-seed in his next bout (Consi 285 bracket).

Vise and I are both hoping for at least one more upset in the semifinals tonight at 197.

Hahaha.... I think my guy has a better shot at that than your's but who knows. Was glad to see Wyatt Sheets win some matches and Im pulling for him tonight.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 07:43:29 PM »
IF... Latona had beat LaMont... the then first 5 wights of the NCAA semifinals would have been perfectly seeded

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 11:36:38 PM »
Hahaha.... I think my guy has a better shot at that than yours but who knows. Was glad to see Wyatt Sheets win some matches and I'm pulling for him tonight.

Sorry Vise, your guy Woodly lost 1-4 to #6 Bonaccorsi (PITT). But he will finish at least 6th, not bad for a #26 who will end up as the Sooners' only AA.

My guy Ferrari pulled off the upset 5-1 over #1 Amine (MICH).

Wyatt Sheets lost 4-13 to #11 Teemer (ASU) and will wrestle for 7th place tomorrow.

Who knows what might happen if OkState wins all its placement and finals matches, and Iowa and Penn State lose all theirs? Don't tell me it's impossible. What if Spencer Lee doesn't make weight...
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2021, 11:59:50 PM »
Lugo's dad wants to know if Ferrari's dad even lifts.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2021, 08:11:30 AM »
Lugo's dad wants to know if Ferrari's dad even lifts.

I wonder how he deadlifted.

Ferrari seems like a very humble and soft spoken guy. I'll definitely be rooting for him and wondering what his deadlift is up to throughout his career.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2021, 08:15:13 AM »
I'm sure John Smith is proud.  Two rock heads in the finals.
We are the storm.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »
Cant wait to see more of ferraris dad tonight. They dont show him enough. They should just keep one video view on him full time.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2021, 10:52:51 AM »
Any predictions for Valencia of ASU.   I think he tanks by the semi's.  He has promise when recruited but has never lived up to it.  I just don't see him as a legit #2.  I think he AA's.  It would be nice for him to be successful but he has been erratic over the last few years.

mspart
He was looking good untill that knee blow out.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2021, 10:55:45 AM »
Cant wait to see more of ferraris dad tonight. They dont show him enough. They should just keep one video view on him full time.

I hear he is a CPA in Deadwater. (John Smith evidently runs an employment agency specializing in the fathers of All American hjgh school wrestlers).

He missed his calling. He could have had a long and profitable career as a actor playing mafia hit men or psychopaths.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2021, 10:58:47 AM »
I'm sure John Smith is proud.  Two rock heads in the finals.

Allow me to translate. Lehigh sucked at the tournament.

I actually feel your pain buck. After tieing for the Big XII title OU manages 1 AA

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2021, 12:06:26 PM »
Lehigh was embarrassing.
We are the storm.