Author Topic: Hope the Olympics happens this year.  (Read 344 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Hope the Olympics happens this year.
« on: February 11, 2021, 10:21:36 PM »
This is Mike.  He was a volunteer wrestling coach at one of the school's I was involved with overseas. He is now trying to make it on the US paralympic team.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/other-sport/olympic-dreams-from-abu-dhabi-to-tokyo-mike-ballard-is-a-man-on-a-mission-1.1163377?fbclid=IwAR06t_S8AZp6nIQa_gH-4MH3Di45UjlSUZTJ3RAtBeAbIosNje1-aD5eGBI

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Hope the Olympics happens this year.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 09:12:15 PM »
It's one heck of target.  All the best to him.  Hopefully that 20 lbs makes the difference for him.

My daughter's friend and my son's former girlfriend in HS, Tobin Heath, was in the past 2 Olympics.  When you know the person on the screen, it makes it that much more exciting to watch.  She and daughter were on a traveling soccer team through 6th grade, then Tobin moved up to the NJ traveling team. Tobin was the reason my daughter gave up soccer in favor of field hockey when she got to HS.  She was an adult among little girls on the field.  UNC scholarshiped her as a soph, one of the few full scholarships UNC hands out in non revenue sports.

Hopefully you'll get some streamed air time of his events. 200M sculls are brutal on the competitors.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 09:56:44 PM »
The line about "Welcome to the US Olympic team, now raise your own funds" is very interesting.  He mentions in the article that his competitors from the UK get their funding through the national lottery winnings.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:47:14 AM »
Unfortunately some O sports continue to rely on individual funding support in order to compete.  My firm used to sponsor O athletes through internships where they worked part time and practiced part time.  Even gave them a housing stipend to cover the high cost of living in NYC.  When it got into a bit of financial trouble back in the 00's they dropped the program and never returned. 

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »
Unfortunately some O sports continue to rely on individual funding support in order to compete.  My firm used to sponsor O athletes through internships where they worked part time and practiced part time.  Even gave them a housing stipend to cover the high cost of living in NYC.  When it got into a bit of financial trouble back in the 00's they dropped the program and never returned.

I remember that used to be a big marketing push for Home Depot.  There would be ads on TV touting how they would hired Olympic athletes so that they had a job while they could train.   I haven't seen those ads anymore.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »
There were more than a few new employees in our office that resented the fact they were getting paid an equal amount but they didn't have to work.  Most were okay with it.  It was people that couldn't give a hoot about athletics.  There were even full time interns that complained because they had to work 40 hours and got docked if they missed a day, and the Olympic interns would may show for half that and didn't get docked if they didn't show.  We quickly learned we had to segregate the two groups to prevent the chit chat amongst them.  2nd year with assigned the O interns to departments that worked primarily out of the office and help separate group sessions for them.