Author Topic: A Good Day for College Sports Fans  (Read 224 times)

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
A Good Day for College Sports Fans
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:37:19 AM »
Today (Sunday) was an exciting day for me in college sports. I started the day off watching a first-round game of the women's basketball NCAA Championship, with No. 8 seed OkState taking on No. 9 seed Wake Forest in the San Antonio Regional on ESPN2. OkState won 84-61, aided by a 27-point 15-rebound performance by Natasha Mack, who stands 6'4" and has a 6'11" wingspan. I'm afraid the Cowgirls will need a lot of luck to beat No. 1 seed Stanford in their next game on Tuesday.

The basketball game didn't end up being close, but a lot more drama was provided in baseball by the live-streamed rubber game of a 3-game series in Lubbock between No. 9 OkState and No. 4 Texas Tech. Going into the top of the 9th inning, Texas Tech led 6-3. The Cowboys were down to their last out after getting a single and hitting into a double play. After a single, hit batter, several walks, and two pitching changes, OkState had scored two runs and loaded the bases. I was pulling hard for the comeback, but it wasn't to be. The Cowboy DH came up to bat and struck out, giving Texas Tech the 6-5 win. At least the f‌inal inning kept me on the edge of my chair right to the end.

Throughout the day, I was also following the Mountain View Collegiate women's golf tournament in Tucson. At the start of today's final round, No. 31 Texas and No. 8 OkState were atop the leader board, with Texas ahead by eight strokes. Each time I checked the leader board, the Cowgirls had narrowed the gap a little more. When it was over, Texas had faded to even par and the Cowgirl team had scored 10 under par on the day, giving them the title by two points. The Cowgirls' Maja Stark took the individual title with an 11-under 205, tied for the second lowest in tournament history.

That wasn't the day's only golf. I also followed the OkState men's team in Arizona's N.I.T. at Tucson National's Catalina Course. At the start of today's final round, OkState and OU were atop the leader board, with the Cowboys ahead by three strokes. The Sooners soon pulled ahead by one stroke, and the two teams traded the lead throughout the round. At the end, OkState took the title with a 4-stroke lead. I think the Cowboys No. 8 ranking will improve with this win over the No. 2 Sooners, No. 6 Texas (3rd place) and No. 4 Illinois (5th place).

March Madness gave me my final viewing opportunity of the day, when No. 4 seed OkState took on No. 12 seed Oregon State in the second round of the Midwest Regional. Oregon State was coming off its first ever Pac-12 Tournament championship and its first March Madness victory since 1982, but couldn't be taken lightly, having beaten No. 5 seed Tennessee, 70-56, last Friday night. The Beavers kept their upset streak alive with an 80-70 win over the Cowboys, who had hoped to reach their first Sweet 16 since 2005.

All in all it was a good sports day, with a sad ending for me, but a happy one for the Oregon State fans.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: A Good Day for College Sports Fans
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 06:51:06 AM »
Kind of made up for Thursday Friday and Saturady

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
Re: A Good Day for College Sports Fans
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »
Those days also were exciting for me. Am I too easily excited? I don't think so. I can use all the excitement I can get.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l