Author Topic: Cox missed weight  (Read 575 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Cox missed weight
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:51:30 AM »
This issue is the source for a now 37 page rant on the themat forums.  Not much of a peep here. 

There are some posters over there that wanted USAW to bend the rules just for Cox so he could wrestle.  Cox was not at weight by the time proscribed, therefore he did not make weight.  Pretty simple and has been the way of life for wrestlers forever.  But just this one time, we need an exception.  I find it fascinating that it is so controversial of a call over there.  When asked for examples where this has ever occurred, they cannot bring any, just complain that our best guy was not in the mix. 

Are there any feeling with our guys here that Cox was somehow mishandled in this situation?  That he should have been allowed to wrestle?  How many lawsuits would there have been if that had been the case?  Cox is appealing the decision, but it is really a defense by "my coach told me" so I don't think it will hold much water. 

It is really too bad that Cox was not there.  It would have made the 97 weight class that much more exciting.  But he blew it.  He did not make weight when he was supposed to. 

mspart

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
Re: Cox missed weight
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »
But it isn't just "my coach told me." It is also "An employee of USAW told me." I have no clue how things like this work, but I think that could factor into the decision.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 05:56:43 PM »
I think they handled it appropriately. No proof that this came from USA wrestling. If he did have proof then maybe he has a case but how do u handle it? Maybe require him to beat Snyder 2 in a row so Snyder at least gets something for beating all those other guys.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:41:03 PM »
The pieces of the story involving "the issue", coach and USAW are missing.  I don't want to have to read 37 pages of gibberish over there if I can help it.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »
Agreed.  It is mostly those for letting Cox wrestle regardless and those saying that breaks the rules.  Those for letting him wrestle argue it is a stupid rule and should not apply.  One guy actually said mindlessly following rules is for cowards.  Some is interesting.  I guess we'll see how this aspect of the rules changes in the years to come.  I'm betting it won't.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 09:22:25 PM »
So what occurred causing him to be late at the weight?  Did he arrive late with no time to cut?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:24:20 AM »
According to the forums, he arrived there at 7:21, weighed at 7:24, and again at 8;00 and was not at weight.  Made weight at 8:13.   Weigh in time closed out at 8:00.   

So it would appear that he did not start soon enough to get his weight down in the morning.  That is my take away.

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 10:49:37 AM »
I think they handled it appropriately. No proof that this came from USA wrestling. If he did have proof then maybe he has a case but how do u handle it? Maybe require him to beat Snyder 2 in a row so Snyder at least gets something for beating all those other guys.

Cox only had to beat 1 guy, 2 out of 3.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
We have two conflicting priorities here.

This first priority is to establish clear rules and time tables and enforce them fairly.

The second priority is to put the best 6 men we can on the team.

Both priorites are important. If you violate the first you set bad precidents that undermine the selection system. If you viloate the second you undermine the purpose of the selection process.

While I would never want to adopt the Russian or Iranian selection processes, I seriously doubt they would let an incident like this stop them from placing a wrestler on the team if they thought he was the best candidate to medal.

J'Den Cox is my favorite wrestler today. But lets face it, he screwed up, notwithstanding his coach's attempt to take the blame.

So... I wont be outraged if they deny Cox's desire to be given a chance for a 1 match challenge of Moore and if successful a 2 out of 3 challenge of Snyder. But nor would I be outraged if they did.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 11:10:35 AM »

He had to beat two guys, then 2 out of 3 with Snyder.  #1 coming out of the mini tourney faces Snyder.  Cox was inserted as a semi finalist, so that is one match, and then a final would have been the other match.  Then 2 of 3.

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »

He had to beat two guys, then 2 out of 3 with Snyder.  #1 coming out of the mini tourney faces Snyder.  Cox was inserted as a semi finalist, so that is one match, and then a final would have been the other match.  Then 2 of 3.

mspart
I meant Snyder there not Cox.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 03:49:29 PM »
Anyway, I was just trying to say that IF you allowed Cox another crack at this (I could only see that if somebody acting officially in the capacity of a USA wrestling employee misinformed him about the weigh-in time and he had proof of that) you'd have to give Snyder some type of advantage to compensate for the fact that Cox beat nobody yet.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 04:23:03 PM »
I don't think Cox gets a shot.  He will have a shot at WCs only.  He said in his statement that he would either be practicing for Olys or for WCs.  I'm guessing if he decides to continue to compete, he doesn't miss weight again. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 06:36:35 PM »
3 years is a long grind to keep at it.

I don't even want to think what could transpire if Snyder gets injured or COVID's out.

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 09:11:02 AM »
I'm pissed about this.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.