Author Topic: Askren v Paul  (Read 872 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Askren v Paul
« on: April 19, 2021, 07:40:58 AM »

Askren should have remained in retirement.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1383651476812144641

1st round KO.  Askren looks a little chunky with a punch and rolls on his hips......It was reported, Askren made about $500,000 for the bout.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Askren v Paul
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 07:41:51 AM »
......with a paunch and rolls on his hips.....

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:38:12 PM »
Well, 500k is big money for a fight like this.  Did he not take it too seriously?   Did he take the fall?  Is Jake Paul that good, or is Ben's chin made of glass?  Does this take a bite out of his brand?  Well, he won't be taken seriously ever again that's for sure. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:22:07 PM »
I can only presume that right hook connected and it was a nasty one pulled from right field.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:18:38 PM »
This is amazing. Paul may now (after beating Askren) be the biggest monetary draw in boxing (at least in the U.S.) and he isn't even on par (skill-wise) with the top amateur boxers. I won't pay one red dime to watch one of his fights or click on his youtube channel but this is entertaining I have to admit.

Hope he fights somebody with some actual boxing skill next but I'm sure he'll be smart and continue to fight people that aren't primarily boxers but  still considered "tough guys" overall.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
I agree with RV there (he should stick to wrestling  ;D )

Askren embarrassed wrestling. He committed one of the cardinal sins of any sport... underetimating the competition. And now he's become a joke punch line. I hope it was worth the $.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 06:54:58 PM »
I don't think anyone wants to go wrestling him that much though.  I think he hurt his brand a bit, won't be taken seriously, but I think his coaching and wrestling business will probably be ok.

mspart

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 02:45:50 PM »
It was worth it to him, no doubt. $0.5 million. He admitted he was mainly in it for the $. His wrestling business is doing better than ever. AWA keeps opening up more academy locations and they keep doing better and better at the state and national levels. Even had a couple freshmen all-american (O'Toole & Keckesian) this year at the NCAAs.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 06:01:01 PM »
According to Paul, he walked away with the biggest payday ever for a MMA 'er.  If Askren was at $500 K, where was Paul $600-$750 or the BIG $M.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 08:22:42 PM »
If Paul is not ignorant of MMA paydays, he made a ton.

Conor McGregor earned $3 million in his bout with Nate Diaz,who earned $2 million.

Brock Lesnar made $2.5 million for his fight with Mark Hunt.

Andrei Arlovski had $1.5 million payday in 2009 opposite then-No. 1 heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.

It's been reported, Conor McGregor made around $100 million for his fight against Floyd Mayweather and $50 million for his fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »
I might be persuaded to step in the ring/octogon for that kind of pay out.    I'd go real fast though.

mspart

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 06:45:47 PM »
Paul just signed a deal with Showtime.  He will be making decent money. No opponent named.

Monday morning quarterback here, but Askren should have retired after his time with OneFC was up.  Kept his health. Plus, people would have lumped him with Fedor with the "best to have never fought in the UFC".

I mean the guy is still under 40 and has artificial hips.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 07:49:20 PM »
Tyson Fury's little brother is chasing Paul for a fight.

Paul has said no.

Here is Tommy's record

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/854141

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
I read yesterday that Paul as Woodley next.  He better hope it is boxing and not MMA. 

mspart

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
I read yesterday that Paul as Woodley next.  He better hope it is boxing and not MMA. 

mspart

Maybe we'll see him actually have to take a punch.