Author Topic: SCOTUS Sides With Student Athletes on NCAA Restraints  (Read 1186 times)

Online RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
SCOTUS Sides With Student Athletes on NCAA Restraints
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:51:01 AM »
I'm posting this one under collegiate wrestling since it affects wrestling as well as football and basketball scholarships.  It affects all collegiate sports, male and female.  The decision moves collegiate athletics one step closer to pay for play.

Ultimately we likely see more schools dropping a variety of non-revenue sports, both male and female in order to increase compensation to revenue sport athletes.  That means the clamp on wrestling expenses will get tightened once again.  The MAC is one of those conferences that will feel the pinch more than most others and wresting in the MAC is walking a thin line already.....hint, hint...the Missouri wrestling exodus.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31679946/supreme-court-sides-former-players-dispute-ncaa-compensation

Quote from: ESPN News Services June 21 2021

In a ruling that could help push changes in college athletics, the Supreme Court on Monday unanimously sided with a group of former college athletes in a dispute with the NCAA over rules limiting certain compensation.

The high court ruled that NCAA limits on the education-related benefits that colleges can offer athletes who play Division I basketball and football can't be enforced.

The case doesn't decide whether students can be paid salaries. Instead, the ruling will help determine whether schools decide to offer athletes tens of thousands of dollars in education-related benefits for things such as computers, graduate scholarships, tutoring, study abroad and internships.

As a result of the ruling, the NCAA itself can't bar schools from sweetening their offers to Division I basketball and football players with additional education-related benefits. But individual athletic conferences can still set limits if they choose. A lawyer for the former athletes had said before the ruling that he believed that if his clients won, "very many schools'' would ultimately offer additional benefits.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTUS Sides With Student Athletes on NCAA Restraints
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »
Thanks SCOTUS!!   

Hopefully your prediction is wrong.  But I've hoped before and was disappointed. 

mspart