Author Topic: Let's Go, Lightning!  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Let's Go, Lightning!
« on: June 26, 2021, 10:49:47 PM »
The Tampa Bay Lightning are playing in the Stanley Cup finals again this year, after winning it all last year. 

Is there another major sport where the regular season has such little impact on the playoffs?  Two years ago, the Lightning had by far the best record in the league, then were unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs in the first round without winning a game.  Their regular season record wasn't near as good last season, but they went on to win the title.  This season, none of the four number ones made it to the semifinals while two number fours did.  If the Islanders would have pulled off the upset in game 7 against the Lightning, two number fours would have been playing for the title.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Go, Lightning!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
Back to back championships!

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 11:40:36 AM »
And they have so much natural ice to practice on.  Congrats to TB. 

mspart

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »
One of the funnier signs held up by a fan in the arena said, "My cup size is Stanley".

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 08:02:45 PM »
Presumably Hopefully, a female.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 12:35:29 AM »
I assume so, but I only saw the sign, not the fan holding it.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
Heading to my first NHL game tonight.

Got my Columbus Blue Jackets' beanie on riding the Amtrak to Seattle.

Wish the wife and kids could join me, but I can't afford to take out another mortgage to get tickets for a home Kraken game.

Now, if only I can convince #5 to spend some off season time at the Ohio RTC and work on some takedowns rather than risk breaking a hand/wrist/finger while throwing a punch during a hockey fight.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »
Heading to my first NHL game tonight.

Got my Columbus Blue Jackets' beanie on riding the Amtrak to Seattle.

Wish the wife and kids could join me, but I can't afford to take out another mortgage to get tickets for a home Kraken game.

Now, if only I can convince #5 to spend some off season time at the Ohio RTC and work on some takedowns rather than risk breaking a hand/wrist/finger while throwing a punch during a hockey fight.

Good luck with that aguest!  I hope it is all you are anticipating.  Kraken have won a few matches.  So they might just win again.  Maybe.   

mspart

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »
So much easier to follow a hockey game live than on TV.  The puck looks like it moves much faster on TV than it does in real life.

The arena was amazing.  My nephew said the visitors' lock room was beautiful and the crowd sounded extremely loud while on the ice.

After the game, he mentioned that the ice is made from reclaimed rain water...and the Zamboni is electric.  I guess they took their name of "Climate Pledge Arena" seriously. 

Blue Jackets ran up quite a lead, but the Kraken fought back hard and brought it to overtime. Columbus won 5-4.

Hoping he gets to stay in the big leagues for the rest of the season.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
Yes it is now called Climate Pledge Arena.   I'm not sure why exactly.   It was built for the 1962 Worlds Fair and was called the Seattle Center Coliseum.   I have gone to many basketball games, circuses, and concerts there.  Then I moved away and when I came back it was called Key Arena, with a sponsor of Key Bank.   Then the Seattle Sonics left over a dispute with upgrades to the Arena.  Actually that is not true.  Starbucks CEO owned the team and sold it to some sheister from Oklahoma City.  Everyone knew the Sonics were gone.  The sheister lied saying he would keep the team in Seatlle but threw away all the good players so he could say there was not a good market in Seattle and they moved to Ok city as Thunder.  I still have no respect for that guy.  If he had been upfront, then ok. 

Anyway, I digress.  The arena was in great disrepair and not a great place for visiting teams etc.  I think Seattle had been burned out of providing playgrounds for pro sports leagues so the people would not vote the okidoki to fund repairs.   So I think some private investors did it and because we are so green around here, they decided to call it Climate Pledge Arena.   There is no sponsor called Climate Pledge as far as I know.   Probably the first arena in the country, or world perhaps, named for the Green movement. 

Anyway, now that the history lesson is over, I'm glad you had a good time watching the game and meeting up with your nephew.   Sounds like it was a good game.   Kracken - What a dumb name!!  I suppose at the beginning they had Liam Neeson's "Release the Kracken!!" from the Titan movie. 

mspart

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »
Amazon fronted the money to update the arena. But, they didn't want the Amazon name attached.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
Ah there you go!!

mspart