Author Topic: Three PAC 12 wrestlers selected among the 44 At Large picks  (Read 477 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Three PAC 12 wrestlers selected among the 44 At Large picks
« on: March 09, 2022, 10:01:05 AM »
125 lbs - Anthony Lorenzo - Cal State Univ. at Bakersfield - Lorenzo placed 5th at the 2022 PAC 12 tournament

149 lbs - Jaden Abas - Stanford - Abas placed 4th at 149 lbs at the 2022 PAC 12 tournament

165 lbs - Anthony Valencia - Arizona State - Valencia, a four time PAC 12 champion who had never lost a match at a PAC 12 tournament prior to 2022, placed 4th at the 2022 PAC 12 tournament (with two losses).
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Re: Three PAC 12 wrestlers selected among the 44 At Large picks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 10:09:18 AM »
This means that a total of 26 of the 60 PAC 12 wrestlers who competed at the 2022 PAC 12 tournament will be headed to the 2022 NCAA tournament.  That's 43.33 %.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
Surprising for Valencia.  Very interesting. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 12:58:37 PM »
Surprising for Valencia.  Very interesting. 

mspart

DIdn't surprise me at all.  His national ranking makes him a virtual certainty to be selected at large.   I was more surprise about Lorenzo being picked when he placed 5th out of 6 at the PAC 12 tournament.

I don't know if you watched the PAC 12 tournament but Valencia was severely poked in the right eye in his first match (I THINK it was in his 1st match - not sure).  They spent - I swear - five minutes treating him and when it initially happened he immediately whirled around and leaped away from his opponent in pain (grabbing his head).   

I know there is a limit to injury time but I don't know what that time limit is.  Point being they must have gone well over that time limit treating him and nobody said anything about that.    He won his first match by Fall in 3:51 and he lost his 2nd match vs. Shane Griffith in a 1-0  match.  He also won his 3rd match 4-0 over the Little Rock guy (Brennan) and then lost in SV OT # 1 by a score of 6-4 when Oregon State's Matt Olguin got a takedown on Valencia.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 02:23:30 PM »
Him getting the bid doesn't surprise me.  Him getting 4th surprises me.  I don't think he is nearly as good as his brother and I have no skin in the game.  But I figured he was better than 4th in Pac 12.  I would guess he would or should be considered All American.  4th in Pac 12 doesn't get him there.  Has he been doing worse lately?  Seems like the eye poke may have affected his performance.   

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 05:23:37 PM »
Him getting the bid doesn't surprise me.  Him getting 4th surprises me.  I don't think he is nearly as good as his brother and I have no skin in the game.  But I figured he was better than 4th in Pac 12.  I would guess he would or should be considered All American.  4th in Pac 12 doesn't get him there.  Has he been doing worse lately?  Seems like the eye poke may have affected his performance.   

mspart

I have to correct my first off - the match when he was poked severely in the eye was his 3rd match vs. the Little Rock guy (Brennan).   He looked great in his first two matches when he pinned Garcia of CS Bakersfield in 3:51 and then lost 1-0 to Shane Griffith.   He even bounced back to win 4-0 over the guy who basically speared his right eye.   It was the loss in SV OT # 1 to Olguin of Oregon State in which he did not look good.

I would have to agree tho that he has been doing worse lately.  He's not the same high energy guy that he used to be a few years ago.   And you're right he SHOULD have been better than 4th in the PAC 12.  But he was the # 3 seed at the tournament behind Evan Wick of Cal Poly and Shane Griffith of Stanford.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
#3 seed, so he didn't underperform too much then.  I'm really surprised to hear he has not gotten better.  Very interesting.

mspart