Author Topic: The winner who came furthest in the consi's  (Read 394 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
The winner who came furthest in the consi's
« on: March 21, 2022, 12:59:20 PM »
So I just looked at the brackets and most of the finalists of the consis came from semi or quarter losses.  But at 157, #1 Carr from ISU lost in the second round of the championship bracket and came all the way back with close wins but wins nonetheless to capture 3rd.  He did not give up as the odds were against him after losing.   But he kept his mental game on track and came from the second round of Consis all the way to 3rd.  I think that deserves high praise, and that is what wrestling is all about.  Picking yourself back up after a devastating loss and mentally staying in the game and doing your best. 

Interestingly, his opponent was #10 Robb from NEB who also came back just as far only to take 4th.  Credit given to him also as he exceeded his seed greatly.  Great effort and he and Carr should be proud that they gutted it out until the end. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: The winner who came furthest in the consi's
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 06:48:25 PM »
Anytime a wrestler gets bounced in the first or second bout and wrestles back through the consi's meatgrinder, you have to admire their drive.

How about Kizhan Clarke (UNC) knocking #s 2,10 and 6 before getting corralled by Lee.  He made the most of his COVID year.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 12:32:09 AM »
There were several wrestlers from Florida who were nationally ranked when they were in high school who didn't AA this year, but Clarke, who won state as a senior at Riverview high school (a Tampa suburb just south of Brandon), not only AA'd, but made the finals.  It just goes to show you that you don't have to be a four time champ in high school to excel at the next level, as long as you have talent, good coaching and work hard.  Of course, a little luck doesn't hurt either, but you can't control that.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 07:38:12 AM »
I read his bio from American U.  He's had a crazy career wrestling as high as 165, then 157 and 149 where he was ranked as high as #7.  This was his first year at 141.  If I'm not mistaken, he went 0-2 at ACC's and got into the tournament on a wildcard.  He beat Chad Red NEB in a dual which an indication he was better than his 15 seed.