Author Topic: Is there any way to EDIT a posted message here AFTER you have posted it?  (Read 476 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
I have not been on this forum for several years but I thought that there used to be a way to edit one's mistakes previously.  That does not appear to be the case (if it ever was).  I am wondering how one is supposed to change a message that has been posted when that message has some typos in it.    Just curious to know if there is such a feature here.  I've looked and looked here but I have not found it.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Yes there is Bronco.   Not all that easy but you copy what you wrote, delete the message, create a new message, paste in and edit. 

Granted it is a workaround but that's all we've got as far as I know.

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice.  I did find a solution that is listed under HELP here but it refers to an icon on the page that I don't see (for myself) and it also explains that it is up to the moderator as to who can or can not edit their own messages.  Apparently I am in the latter category.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
You can edit the way Mark points out, but you have to do it within a couple hours of posting the message.  The "Remove" button will disappear.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Thanks again but the webpage I referred to can be seen by clicking on the life preserver icon in the upper left corner here (HELP)............then click on POSTING.......and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and you find a section on "Modifying or Deleting a Post"

This is a url link to that page:   https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Posting

But the instructions on that page refer to an Icon that I've never seen here.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
I think they got rid of that function a long time ago.   I remember Ray Brinzer saying something about it some time ago.  But I don't see that icon either. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
It was removed because people were modifying and deleting posts after the string was running, changing the context of the original note.