Author Topic: Real Woods in the transfer portal  (Read 1512 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Real Woods in the transfer portal
« on: March 29, 2022, 05:21:31 PM »
I'm seeing elsewhere that Real Woods has graduated from Stanford and is in the transfer portal.  Primarily on Pat Mineo's twitter page. 

Woods has two more years of eligibility left.   Some are saying he will end up at Penn State (replacing Nick Lee).  Others are saying he will end up at Arizona State (which already has Jesse Vasquez - who missed most of this season due to injury).  I hate to see him leaving Stanford's wrestling team but I have to wonder where he will end up.

Regardless of WHERE he ends up he will be a good addition to any NCAA wrestling team.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Re: Real Woods in the transfer portal
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »
I'm curious how he could have graduated NOW as it's late March.  I thought he completed his under-graduate credit requirements last spring (along with Shane Griffith).

And what about Shane Griffith - is he also going to transfer elsewhere?   Personally I would LOVE to see both of them transfer to Arizona State.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 05:59:00 PM »
IF that were to happen (big IF I know) the Arizona State lineup would look like this for next season

125 lbs - Brandon Courtney - RS Senior - 2021 NCAA runner-up - 2022 NCAA All-American (6th place) - Three Time PAC 12 champion

133 lbs - Michael McGee - RS Senior - 4 time NCAA qualifier - 2 time NCAA All-American (4th in 2022 and 6th in 2021)

141 lbs - Real Woods - RS Senior (with 2 yrs Eligibility) - 2020 NCAA NWCA First Team All-American - 2 time PAC 12 champion - 2022 NCAA All-American (6th place)

149 lbs - Kyle Parco - RS Junior - 2 time NCAA All-American (6th in 2021 and 8th in 2022) - 2022 PAC 12 champion

157 lbs - Jacori Teemer - RS Senior (with 2 yrs Eligibility) - 3 time NCAA Qualifier - 2 time NCAA All-American (4th in 2021 & 6th in 2022) - 3 time PAC 12 champion

165 lbs - Shane Griffith - RS Senior (with 2 years Eligibility) - 2021 NCAA champion - 2022 NCAA Runner-up - 3 time NCAA qualifier

174 lbs - Cael Valencia - RS Freshman - Went 12-4 while redshirting during 2021-2022 season

184 lbs - Josh Nummer - RS Junior - Placed 4th at 2022 PAC 12 tournament

197 lbs - Kordell Norfleet - 6th year Senior - 4 time PAC 12 champion - 4 time NCAA Qualifier

285 lbs - Cohlton Schultz - RS Sophomore - 2 time PAC 12 champion - 2 time NCAA All-American (4th in 2021 & 2nd in 2022)

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 11:34:39 PM »
I have seen a few that are real convinced that Real transfers to Michigan.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Black-n-Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 03:17:55 AM »
I'm curious how he could have graduated NOW as it's late March.  I thought he completed his under-graduate credit requirements last spring (along with Shane Griffith).

And what about Shane Griffith - is he also going to transfer elsewhere?   Personally I would LOVE to see both of them transfer to Arizona State.

Well...their Winter Semester goes until March 24th. It could also be that he's on track to graduate next semester and is just a class or two away.
I don't see a great fit for Woods at ASU...Griffith on the other hand would be excellent.

But I've heard Woods to PSU. Because if there's one thing PSU needs...it's more talent and to poach the best(arguably) Wrestler from a program that was on the chopping block last semester. And yes, I'd argue Griffin is better, but Woods has 2 years and he was right there with Lee and SeaBass losing 3-2 to both, so so close to a NC at a much easier weight...IMO. But we'll see. This is so speculative right now.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 06:42:59 AM »
Black-n-Yellow - Welcome to The Open Mat.  Your insight is much appreciated.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 09:56:16 AM »

[/quote]

Well...their Winter Semester goes until March 24th. It could also be that he's on track to graduate next semester and is just a class or two away.
I don't see a great fit for Woods at ASU...Griffith on the other hand would be excellent.

But I've heard Woods to PSU. Because if there's one thing PSU needs...it's more talent and to poach the best(arguably) Wrestler from a program that was on the chopping block last semester. And yes, I'd argue Griffin is better, but Woods has 2 years and he was right there with Lee and SeaBass losing 3-2 to both, so so close to a NC at a much easier weight...IMO. But we'll see. This is so speculative right now.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info on the graduation date for Stanford's winter semester.  That makes sense but as I mentioned earlier I was under the impression that Woods graduated (as an undergraduate) last spring.   So I have to think if he graduated in March of this year it was a Graduate degree.  Numerous times people reported that that was the reason why he wasn't wrestling for most of the 2021 season, i.e., because he was focusing on classes with the goal of graduating last spring.

I agree completely that Woods makes more sense for Penn State.   Arizona State already has Jesse Vasquez and Mykey Ramos for 141 lbs.  But others (elsewhere) were mentioning him as a possibility for ASU.

There's no doubt (in my mind) that Griffith is the better of the two.  Hard to argue against that as he has a national championship and a national runner-up to his credit at the 2021 and 2022 NCAA tournaments.

Welcome to the Open Mat Forum!

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 12:35:40 PM »
So would Woods be immediately a varsity wrestler at ASU?  If so, why would that be a bad fit? 

Welcome to the board Black-n-Yellow! 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 04:55:49 PM »

P.S. Woods and Griffith BOTH have two more years of eligibility remaining.  They both redshirted during the 2019 season and have competed in 2020, 2021 and 2022.  And due to the cancellation of the NCAA tournament in 2020 they get an extra year of eligibility.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 05:03:29 PM »
So would Woods be immediately a varsity wrestler at ASU?  If so, why would that be a bad fit? 

Welcome to the board Black-n-Yellow! 

mspart

Nobody here said it would be a "bad fit".  Black-n-Yellow wrote "I don't see a great fit for Woods at ASU" and I wrote that "Woods makes more sense for Penn State".  Because ASU already has Jesse Vasques and Mikey Ramos at 141 lbs.  Maybe a better way to have worded it would have been Penn State has a greater need for Real Woods at 141 lbs.   But I don't think Woods would be a "bad fit" at any school that he chooses.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 08:28:35 PM »
Thanks.  I'd rather he strengthened ASU than PSU.  Just a personal opinion. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
So would I.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 10:41:04 AM »
Thanks.  I'd rather he strengthened ASU than PSU.  Just a personal opinion. 

mspart
NIL money will make the rich forever "Kings of the Forest".  Championships are now to the highest bidder.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 01:53:31 PM »
NIL will go to the NCAA champions for the most part.  They come from all over.   PSU has more than their fair share this year and in years past, but champions come from everywhere.   NIL money does not go to the school does it? 

mspart

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 09:14:30 PM »
NIL will go to the NCAA champions for the most part.  They come from all over.   PSU has more than their fair share this year and in years past, but champions come from everywhere.   NIL money does not go to the school does it? 

mspart
NIL money comes from donors that want to purchase a kid's services to "their" school.  "Come wrestle for us and you will get a free BMW".