Author Topic: NIL's  (Read 749 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
NIL's
« on: March 30, 2022, 07:50:24 PM »
Iwas discussed superficially on the College forum, but as you will gather from the linked article, Name, Image and Likeness cash for college athletes is going to widen the competitive gap between the haves and have nots.  The question is, just how mush is going to trickle down to the non-revenue sports.

https://www.si.com/college/pennstate/football/penn-state-has-two-new-nil-collectives

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: NIL's
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 12:25:04 AM »
I started to say, "None in the SEC.   >:( ", then I remembered that Mizzou is a member (except for wrestling).

NIL is part of the escalating arms race in college football.  Although Jimbo Fisher denies it, some pundits are giving NIL money as the reason that Texas A&M had the number 1 ranked recruiting class this year.

I also expect there will be haves and have nots on the same football team.  I'm sure it won't be good for morale if some players make a million bucks and are driving Ferrari's while some teammates need to bum a ride or take the bus.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: NIL's
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 01:49:15 PM »
The QB, the RBs, the receivers and maybe a defensive guy or two will get money, the rest of the team will get nothing.  Teams will fall apart much like in the NFL when someone gets too big for themselves, ie Seahawks and Mariners.   For Mariners, Ken Griffey Jr got a huge contract and the other players said great, if you are so good you can win the games for us.  They all pulled back and Mariners did not do so well.   For Seahawks, Wilson got a sweet contract and the same thing only in reverse.  He  no longer put it out there, didn't have to.  Had plenty of bread whether he performed well or not.  Guaranteed contracts are not good.

mspart